Cable provider no longer broadcasting HD - QAM - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I subscribe to my local Time Warner's "basic" package for $13/month or so. This includes channels 2-14 in standard definition, and a handful of HD versions of those stations. I have no special equipment - the coax plugs right into all of my TVs. These HD stations have come in fine for quite a while for myself and others that have TVs with a QAM tuner. A few days ago, people stopped receiving all of these HD stations.

I have not contacted Time Warner yet, but I spoke with people who have. Some were told to use an antenna to receive HD, and another person was shipped a DTA. (Isn't a DTA worthless if you have a QAM tuner?)
My understanding was that a QAM tuner was all I needed and I would continue to receive the HD channels. I didn't think this was something Time Warner could arbitrarily take away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Some time back- the cable co's in and around NYC got a waiver from the FCC allowing them to encrypt all the channels they carry-even the OTA loal channels. They sited high incidences of theft of service in NYC and it's surrounding areas- the FCC agreed and granted them permission to encrypt everything. Out on the Island- Cablevision isn't allowed to encrypt OTA channels.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Old 05-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNg View Post

I subscribe to my local Time Warner's "basic" package for $13/month or so. This includes channels 2-14 in standard definition, and a handful of HD versions of those stations. I have no special equipment - the coax plugs right into all of my TVs. These HD stations have come in fine for quite a while for myself and others that have TVs with a QAM tuner. A few days ago, people stopped receiving all of these HD stations.

I have not contacted Time Warner yet, but I spoke with people who have. Some were told to use an antenna to receive HD, and another person was shipped a DTA. (Isn't a DTA worthless if you have a QAM tuner?)
My understanding was that a QAM tuner was all I needed and I would continue to receive the HD channels. I didn't think this was something Time Warner could arbitrarily take away.

Probably this is result of TWC's "all-digital" project discussed in this article (eventually all services will be encrypted):

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/tw-cable-going-all-digital-new-york/143027
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNg View Post

....... I didn't think this was something Time Warner could arbitrarily take away.

Marty,

From what I understand, the FCC made a ruling that allows the cable companies to scramble all of their signals, even local stations that can be picked up OTA. So, if this is what TW did, then you are stuck getting a cable box or DTA from them in order to receive the programs.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 AM

I have access to both TWC basic and standard tiers in KCMO. A few months ago local HD clear QAM channels disappeared from the basic tier. They are still seen on the standard tier. Since these services are available in analogue, I always figured anything extra was a bonus.
My understanding is that cable companies are now free to digitize and scramble these services.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes unfortunatly the Cable companies are doing this, there are HD DTA's but I am not sure if your cable-co is deploying them.
If your TV has a boilt in QAM tuner you can try an OTA antenna.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

You probably meant to say, "if your TV has a built-in QAM tuner, it probably also has an ATSC tuner and you can try using an antenna for your local HD channels."

OTA transmission is not QAM. wink.gif
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM

TWCKC recently sent out their policy and services statement for 2013. I hadn't read one of these in several years. It states that local HD channels are available free even if you have only Basic service. I checked the details on their web site for basic and it says the same thing. I am definitely going to call them about this. They need to at least tell us what is going on now instead of telling us how it use to be. Who knows, maybe I have an old filter notching out too many channels on my basic feed.
Since my OTA situation is difficult, it was nice to use the cable feed for recording. I now have fairly stable reception of all channels for simultaneous viewing/recording.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

Yes unfortunatly the Cable companies are doing this, there are HD DTA's but I am not sure if your cable-co is deploying them.

Except that OTA doesn't use QAM. It uses 8VSB.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Definately a market by market issue, although, I had predicted something like this for many years now. I'm kind of surprised that the cable companies aren't being more aggressive about rolling this out to all markets everywhere.

As of this week, my broadband only subscription to TWC in the Raleigh NC market still has all channels except the the ABC available on clear QAM. I've never had that one since I started with TWC aboujt 2-2.5 years ago.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Maybe the claimed theft of services was just an excuse to subvert FCC rulemaking and is more about re-gaining their control?
Otherwise the cable executive rats would have immediately given directions to their underlings to start encrypting everything if it was really about theft of services in hopes that the theives would call up and start subscribing allowing them to squeeze more money out of subscribers.....