Help connect samasung un55es6500 to onkyo tx-sr602 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older prewired set up with two rca plugs at each end of the cable. One pair is connected to the receiver, the other set does not have a place on the new tv. The receiver does not have hdmi, so how can I connect the rca plugs to the tv in order to get surround sound working? It worked fine with older mitsubishi tv, which had multiple rca plugs.

I am a novice and looking to make something work without having to purchase new receiver.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Optical audio out from TV to reciever. Will at least give you l/r audio but may give you more.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I see a "digital audio out (optical)" slot on the back of the tv. As I said before, I'm a novice, so two rca plugs don't look like they will fit in this slot. Is there an adapter or converter that I need to plug in to the tv and that would then allow the two rca ends to plug into the adaptor? Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You need an optical cable. The back of your Onkyo should also have an optical input, which you probably have to assign in the menu options, which is easy to do.

Your old set-up was basically analog. This is totally different, it is pure digital, which will sound a lot better watching shows or movies in 5.1 surround.

If the back of your tv had a "coaxial" audio output (an orange RCA jack), then you could still uses 1 of the 2 RCA cables, and plug the other end into the "coaxial input" on the back of the Onkyo, but it appears your tv only has the optical output. You could get an adaptor that converts optical to coaxial, but it's just easier and probably cheaper to get an optical cable. Its also commonly referred to as a Toslink cable.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I went with the optical cable option and all is good now, except for the wire running across the floor. Guess what I will be doing this weekend!
Much appreciate the input.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung Un55es6500 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page