Cable box technical help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone here can help with a strange technical question related HDTV hardware as my local cable company seems to be over their head.

We own a small seasonal hotel and recently purchased some old LG flat screen HDTVs from a local chain hotel that was upgrading. In conjunction with this we decided to move to HD service from our cable provider prior to realizing the TVs we bought had no HDMI inputs. The cable boxes provided to us only have only 2 outputs: HDMI and a "mini plug" composite output. The cable company has hooked up the TVs to the cable boxes using the mini plug composite output from the box and into the composite inputs on the TVs with some success However...we seem to keep encountering multiple different problems after this is done (pixelization, no picture at all, etc.). The TVs do have a DVI input and I've tried using a HDMI to DVI cable for the picture and using the composite connections strictly for audio with no luck.

Therefore, my question is: Is there a better way to mate these older TVs to HD cable boxes and will doing it the way they did cause some of the problems we're experiencing. My limited understand of this topic tells me that we're trying to push too much data through cables which are not made for this bandwidth and I'm not sure if there's a better work around or if we're causing our own problems doing it this way.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpfla11 View Post

I'm hoping someone here can help with a strange technical question related HDTV hardware as my local cable company seems to be over their head.

We own a small seasonal hotel and recently purchased some old LG flat screen HDTVs from a local chain hotel that was upgrading. In conjunction with this we decided to move to HD service from our cable provider prior to realizing the TVs we bought had no HDMI inputs. The cable boxes provided to us only have only 2 outputs: HDMI and a "mini plug" composite output. The cable company has hooked up the TVs to the cable boxes using the mini plug composite output from the box and into the composite inputs on the TVs with some success However...we seem to keep encountering multiple different problems after this is done (pixelization, no picture at all, etc.). The TVs do have a DVI input and I've tried using a HDMI to DVI cable for the picture and using the composite connections strictly for audio with no luck.

Therefore, my question is: Is there a better way to mate these older TVs to HD cable boxes and will doing it the way they did cause some of the problems we're experiencing. My limited understand of this topic tells me that we're trying to push too much data through cables which are not made for this bandwidth and I'm not sure if there's a better work around or if we're causing our own problems doing it this way.

A. Giving the make/model number of the provided cable boxes would help a great deal.
B. Using the composite video output of the boxes will NOT give HD video. Only HDMI/DVI or component outputs will result in HD video.
C. You say only that you had "no luck" when you attempted using a HDMI->DVI cable for the video, and composite for the audio. What happened? This arrangement should work.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Liked: 32
No it should NOT work...and it didn't. wink.gif

Composite is video ONLY, NO AUDIO, therefore, no sound will come from that connection. Composite video will still look 'good enough' for a small mom/pop motel. Just as with DVI, composite uses the red/white (L/R) RCA jacks for the audio.

Also need to know what cable box is being used...
post #4 of 12 Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick replies!

The TVs are LGs...I'm not sure of the model number but will get it. The cable box is a hospitality specific "set back" box made by ADB called the CVS (Commercial Video Solution). Honestly, I'm surprised such a new HD box even has a mini plug to RCA output.

When we tried putting the video through an HDMI to DVI cable and leaving the red and white RCA connections hooked up in hopes that would carry the audio, we did get the video but the audio did not come through. When all 3 RCA connections are made the TV is on the "AV1" input and when we tried the DVI connection we had to change the input to "DVI" so I assumed that was why we were not getting the audio. But, as mentioned above, I thought that would work since DVI carries video only and the audio has to come from somewhere. and the only alternative was the RCA cables. Any ideas as to why that didn't work wold be appreciated as well.

Also, I do recognize that the quality of picture we're currently seeing through the RCA cables is not HD, but as of now it's the only way we can use the TVs at all.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If you are getting pixelation/ no picture even when using composite output, then your cable provider should look into this. It sounds like it has a weak signal getting to the box, or the boxes themselves are defective.

Are you strictly concerned about getting HD on your tv's and not hotel channel messages? You could get the local channels free OTA and in HD assuming your tv's have a built in tuner. You can probably use the same existing cabling in your hotel without having to run any additional wiring. How many tv's are in your hotel? And can you post the tvfool results of your location so we can get an idea of reception in the area?

Also have you tried taking the coax out of the cable box and plugging it directly into the ANT input of the tv and see if you can get any digital QAM channels? These are unscrambled channels , usually just the local channels.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 251
The "DVI input" area (on the back of the TV) should have corresponding analog audio inputs (either RCA or mini).
post #7 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM

Liked: 32
Ratman! Hello my old friend! Haven't seen you around in awhile. Hope all is well with you & yours! smile.gif
post #8 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

No it should NOT work...and it didn't. wink.gif

Composite is video ONLY, NO AUDIO, therefore, no sound will come from that connection. Composite video will still look 'good enough' for a small mom/pop motel. Just as with DVI, composite uses the red/white (L/R) RCA jacks for the audio.

The RED and WHITE connectors paired with the YELLOW composite video connectors are also called the composite audio connectors. Using the HDMI->DVI video connection along with those R/W connectors for audio should work.

BTW, I already asked about the cable box model number.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The TVs are LGs...I'm not sure of the model number but will get it. The cable box is a hospitality specific "set back" box made by ADB called the CVS (Commercial Video Solution). Honestly, I'm surprised such a new HD box even has a mini plug to RCA output.

When we tried putting the video through an HDMI to DVI cable and leaving the red and white RCA connections hooked up in hopes that would carry the audio, we did get the video but the audio did not come through. When all 3 RCA connections are made the TV is on the "AV1" input and when we tried the DVI connection we had to change the input to "DVI" so I assumed that was why we were not getting the audio. But, as mentioned above, I thought that would work since DVI carries video only and the audio has to come from somewhere. and the only alternative was the RCA cables. Any ideas as to why that didn't work wold be appreciated as well.

There should be a pair of red and white RCA plugs paired with the HDMI/DVI input on the TV. Make sure the audio cables from your cable box are attached to this pair of audio inputs when your TV's input is switched to "DVI."
post #10 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

The RED and WHITE connectors paired with the YELLOW composite video connectors are also called the composite audio connectors. .
No they are not. Composite is "video" only. The red/white for audio is "analog audio". Don't confuse others with incorrect terminology.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

There should be a pair of red and white RCA plugs paired with the HDMI/DVI input on the TV. Make sure the audio cables from your cable box are attached to this pair of audio inputs when your TV's input is switched to "DVI."

BTW......
Yes.... already suggested in post #6.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Possible help for you at:

http://www.adbglobal.com/medias/images/products/CVS-CableAmericas/cvs_datasheet.pdf
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page