Interlachen, FL: Can someone recommend an antenna for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to OTA, but I'm getting rid of Dish this weekend ($71/mo is too much for TV, at least for me it is) and am looking to get my antenna setup in working order ASAP. Right now, I'm using a few steel fence poles (2" diameter I think) coming out of the ground, braced to my roof eave, as a mast. I have a very cheap ebay antenna up there (I'd say it's approximately 22-25ft AGL). The antenna is almost identical to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-HD-TV-360-38dB-Rotor-Remote-UHF-VHF-FM-150-Mile-/200856556830?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item2ec3fbd51e

As I should have expected, the antenna is junk. Right off the bat, the left/right rotation buttons were all messed up. You really have no idea which way it's going to rotate. The rotor is no longer working at all after a short time. The coax is built into the antenna and "plugs in" (not screws on) to the control box, so there's no way to really upgrade the coax.

Anyway, with all that, I'm still getting quite a few of the Jacksonville, FL, channels -- my scan on my Vizio tv finds about 25 channels, although not all of them come in well or reliably. I'm just ready to ditch this junk antenna and move on to something better.

My zip code is 32148. There are some trees within several feet of my mount location, but to the W and SW, so I assume that they won't affect my NNE (looks like 20 degrees) pointing direction. There doesn't appear to be any obstructions otherwise.

I'm on a limited budget. Can you all recommend something for me that will pull in the Jacksonville stations reliably? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I should also include that I have a metal car port approximately 3ft from the mast, if that makes a difference. The top of it is maybe 15 feet from the actual antenna.

I'm looking at this one. What do you guys think? Could I get a better deal or something more suitable for my needs?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd7694p&d=winegard-hd-7694p-high-definition-vhf/uhf-hd769-series-tv-antenna-%28hd7694p%29
post #3 of 8 Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Go to TVFool to get a listing of what is available to you based on your address. Post that information in the HDTV Local forum for the area that is specific (or closest) to where you live. There will be folks there who can look at your TVFool report and suggest the best antenna for you, how to install it, etc. FWIW, my antenna is about 30' from ground at the highest point on our metal roof and we have no issues at all.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks! For what it's worth, here's my TVFool report for anyone else that would like to reply. I'm interested in the Jacksonville channels the most (the ones at 20-ish degrees).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1ddab040d79cb6
post #5 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You are actually in between 2 markets: Jacksonville to the NE, and Gainsville to the West. If you are strictly interested in Jacksonville, then you need a good sized VHF/UHF antenna like the HBU-55. You will possibly also need an amp depending on how reception is and how many tV's you are planning to hook up.

Just an FYI , if you were interested in getting Gainsville, you would need a good sized VHFLO/HI/UHF antenna to get PBS ay VHF 5, also possibly with an amp.

If you were interested in getting both markets, you could get just the VHFlo/HI/UHF antenna with a rotor, and just turn the rotor to whatever market you want to watch. Some people get 2 antennas and point to the respective markets, eliminating the need for a rotor.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sorry, my mistake. I was reading the tvfool wrong. PBS in Gainesville is not on VHF 5, so you don't need a VHFLo/Hi/UHF. Just a VHFHi/UHF antenna.

Also the HBU-33 antenna would work, its a bit smaller and cheaper that the HBU-55. The Winegard you posted above does not have enough range, its only rated for 30 miles.

No matter what you choose, make sure the antenna is grounded properly. I'm sure in your neck of the woods, you have a lot of thunder and lightning.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Please put a location in the title of ALL antenna help threads and TV Fool information in the first post. See the sticky. Thread edited.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well guys, I ended up getting the Winegard HD 7694P because it was really in the price range I wanted and I'd read that it actually performs better than what it's rated for in terms of reception distance. I get most of the Jacksonville, FL, stations and an Ocala, FL, station 51.1 (which is in the opposite direction) at night. Some stations get kind of sketchy during the daytime hours, though, and I'd like to try my best at getting ALL the Jacksonville stations and see if any stations on the back side pop up. My distance from the transmitters, combined with my 75ft cable run and splitting to two TVs has me wanting to try a pre-amp.What do you guys think of the Winegard AP8700 for my application? Or is there something else in this price range that you would recommend?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ap8700&d=winegard-ap8700-chromstar-2000-series-vhf/uhf-pre-amplifier-%28ap-8700%29&sku=615798100186

Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry, mod, about not following the rules correctly!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page