Some OTA reception issues to improve - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please provide any feedback relative to my current specific issues:

Mounted a Winegard ..94P antenna in attic couple weeks ago and oriented to get optimal signals.

I have 100' coax to "temp" test to my master bedroom set and for Indianapolis getting about 30+ channels. Occassionally Fox 59 loses audio and visual for split seconds. Sometimes every 20 secs.

1. no ac outlet in attic; Can signal reception be improved via wires added or extending off the antenna?

2. 100' coax will be threaded outside and into the current comcast box on rear of house: ie. to make use of existing branch lines to different floors. Signal strength slightly lower when checking the temp setup so I will be integrating PreAmp and changing out the current three way splitter in basement to a balanced splitter. Does a PreAmp do anything for improved reception even when downstream? ie. Preamp will be placed at end of 100' coax , but just before splitter in the basement.

3. while the current temp setup is giving me 80 - 100% reception from the main stations (ABC, CBS, etc. HD very clear), a couple of the stations "sometimes" have ever so slight ghostings around the on screen channel labels/text. The full HD broadcasts look very good (for free) but not sure I would say they are better relative to Comcast. Can I do thinks to make images even more detailed?

4. Is it just the ways of broadcasting HD? Core channels fill out resolution to full screen (HD) but alot of the other channels may be only 480P (clear, but smaller resolution). Plus varying displays of ads on all channels. Is this just the nature of Free OTA signals?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 220
While mounting antennas in attics can, and do, work for some, roofing materials, geographic location, etc will affect reception. Outside, roof mounting is usually the best way to go. I'd go to TVFool to see what is available to you and from where, and then post the results in the HDTV Local forum that is specific to your area. Lots of knowledgeable folks there who can recommend the appropriate antenna for you (if the one you have isn't adequate enough) and help with any wiring and/or connection issues. 100' cable run (should be RG-6 cable) might be too long if your splitting the signal to multiple locations without the use of a pre-amp.

OTA generally speaking is very good (depending on your market area) but yes, it is televison so it is not ad free just like it's always been. We live about 50 miles from the towers and our reception has always been rock solid and crystal clear (depending on the source), but then again our LOS is flat and straight with no obstacles. The antenna is also roof mounted at about 30' from ground.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

4 weeks later - SUMMARY OF OBSTACLES I OVERCAME AND MAY HELP OTHERS

1. living in north Indianapolis, approx 12 miles from many transmitter towers. couple transmitters approx 35 miles away.
2. My earlier initial postings were for how to get started with install of antenna and how to proceed; below is a summary of obstacles I was hit with and overcame after many weeks.

A. Didnt want outdoor antenna since in a nice neighborhood(aesthetics).
B. Home was prewired with coax and 3 branches , 1 branch to each floor, (basement, 1st, 2nd).
C. currently have Comcast and looking to possibly drop
D. Bought winegard .. 94P antenna, would have bought Channel Master but blogs talked of large square profile... access to attic was only 2 feet by 2 feet hatch.
Went with the Winegard because good reviews and had a narrow linear profile that could be expanded when in the attic. antenna was about 4.5 to 5 ft long and easy to expand all fins, rods.
E. Because antenna is very directional, I bought 1 inch pvc conduit to use as mounting pole, couple clamps, joist hanger, basic mounting pieces to secure to attic joists and roof support 2x4's.
F. Coax length was a concern, 100' coax would start the path but then I would have to connect into back of house where comcast enters and deal with impact of the additional pre-wire and splits in the home.
G. Antenna was mounted, and this was time consuming as I would turn the antenna to TVFool mapping degrees, then go down to master bedroom where 100' coax attached to tv and do channel scans and evaluate. I made repeated charts of all channels and the quality of display of the channel for each antenna rotation. Approx 3 target positions. Surprisingly was getting 40 recieved channels from Tuner.
F. 32' lcd could lock on the channel but the resolution was different for different channels (aspect ratio) plus non HD channels would have varying degrees of some border blur.
G. Tossed 100' coax out window and attached to back of house; (obstacle) . As expected my upstairs had about 40% reduction in strength plus lost about 3 channels. Following week I replaced the 3 way splitter in furnace room with a "balance" 3 way splitter plus purchased an RCA pre-amp ($24) and attached right before the splitter. I was getting signal at antenna but needed the amp to overcome splitter signal degradation and additional branch lengths of coax.
H. Sigh!, worried at this point , but continue - only about $150 invested in the project so far. still cheaper than two months of comcast
I. Still some signs of not fully strong signal to basement and family room branches; (obstacle) noticed the prewire of home was Rg59 cable- debatable online but I decided to rule out and spent weekend threading new RG6 coax to the two accessible branches; crawl space and furnace room for family room and basement.
J. Better signal. (obstacle) forums debate better amplification at antenna versus inline downstream. I moved the pre-amp into the attic with the antenna and powered it via the injector in furnace room just before the splitter (ie. about 110' coax) between antenna and injector, just before the splitter.
K. Better signaling on all branches
L. (obstacle) spent another weekend, patching junction box drywall from coax rethread and also permanently drilling hole in soffit in rear of house to run coax out attic and down rear gutter ( I will put line in conduit and strap to gutter/paint to match) to have a clean look. And connected the coax. into box where comcast enters home.
M. Purchased a 47" LG smart TV 47ln5750 SamsClub $698 for the family room. Turned it on and easy tv wizard.
Beautiful Picture and get 40 recieved channels. 15 are daily watchable (others are religious, weather, spanish, etc). But the new tv tuner plus the stretched out coax and all above changes made for a fantastic FREE viewing.
N. 32" lcd in master bedroom, still shows weaker signal strength (bars on tv) but all the channels recieved and good picture. no drop outs. This is accepted, as I did not change this branch line (still rg59) and it is the longest branch , post split.
Conclusion: thanks for everyones input and this week I will drop Comcast but will still have undamaged branches should I have cable withdrawls in future.
PS. for the basement 46" tv I have router and purchased Roku 3 so that tv has the surround sound, ota, and also the streaming capability of Roku3.

Hope this tips help others.
Edited by fletch53 - Yesterday at 3:59 pm
post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Our Winegard antenna is almost 30 years old. 72 elements and works perfectly feeding three tv's with no weather-related issues at all. Oh, and mounting the antenna on the roof doesn't change a "nice" neighborhood to a less "nice" neighborhood.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You did a really good job.

So many people will not go to the trouble to resolve the problems. Even antenna install professionals will give up after a while because they cannot make a profit; they will only invest so many hours for X dollars.

Some of the higher quality installs (strong consistent signals) will come from the DIY crowd. Usually it is because they have the persistence and time to get it done.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, the LG smart 47ln5750 is flat out beautiful and the other two tvs in the other rooms doing well also. I was drooling watching all the lighting and stage production on The Voice - NBC the other night. ...and not bad getting a $90 month raise since wife officially cancelled Comcast yesterday. smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, by "drooling" watching the voice; just check my avatar pic......i was just like that!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't go wrong with OTA biggrin.gif
DrDon likes this.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page