Fios without renting boxes/cablecard from Verizon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Here is what I am trying to do. I want to purchase my own cablecard and tuner to decode multiple streams for 2 or 3 tv's. Recording isn't really important, just live TV. I want to watch live TV on real TV's not a PC with a monitor linked to Windows Media Center. I will need some type of endpoint device (such as Raspberry Pi) on each TV that can peer directly to a tuner such as InfiniTV over Ethernet.

I am looking for a combination of devices that can do this as seemlessly as possible so that my wife or guests can easily watch TV without needing to constantly ask me for assistance. So there needs to be a nice interface that is easily controlled from a remote control.

A secondary requirement would be the ability to stream video from my NMT via NFS or Samba.

Is all of this possible or am I dreaming...

Thanks to all those who read/contribute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You mentioned Fios in the title, are you a customer with working STB's?
post #3 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I subscribe to Fios and currently lease a working HD STB.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 615
You need to get the cable card from FiOS. Which means you pay their monthly rental fee for the cable card. There is no wway around this. Not if you want access to the encrypted channels.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Why don't you want to rent a cablecard? I don't think they are available for purchase from anywhere. There is no solution that works well. You can get an InfiniTV or HDHomeRun Prime but they aren't the most stable pieces of equipment. You can expect having to reset things on a regular basis and have to call Verizon a couple times a year to have everything reset.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #6 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Why don't you want to rent a cablecard? I don't think they are available for purchase from anywhere. There is no solution that works well. You can get an InfiniTV or HDHomeRun Prime but they aren't the most stable pieces of equipment. You can expect having to reset things on a regular basis and have to call Verizon a couple times a year to have everything reset.

If I have to rent 1 cablecard from Verizon, then so be it. It's better then renting 3 boxes, or even 3 cablecards a month.

It seems like someone could make a lot of money if they bundle a solution into one package. Tuner + 4 receivers that stream over your network- wired or wireless. Even cooler if it can play media over your network. Software is the only thing needed to bridge this concept.

I'm sure lots of people would fork over $150 to $200 to never have to pay a box rental fee and stream TV without a cable to any room in their house over WIFI. Your ROI would be about 1 year, much sooner for those with 4 TV'.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If such a solution were possible, then someone could set up some directional Wi-Fi antennas on their roof and sell subscriptions to their neighbors to watch a selection of Regular Digital and Prime channels, such as ESPN, NFL-Network, PPV-Boxing, HBO, SHO, SkinaMax, etc. Obviously the cable company engineers have gone out of their way to PREVENT scofflaws from doing this by the use of ENCRYPTION and Protected interfaces (HDMI and Firewire with HDCP). Users can NOT own CableCards because when the Cable company owns it, the USER doesn't have any standing whatsoever to modify it....and can/will be sued when caught. If you read your Verizon user's agreement, there are stiff penalties for violating the terms of the aforementioned agreement by misusing THEIR signals or equipment.

The PC arrangement was a long time coming...be thankful it even exists....ditto streaming to phones and tablets when supported by your local cable company....
post #8 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
I'm sure lots of people would fork over $150 to $200 to never have to pay a box rental fee and stream TV without a cable to any room in their house over WIFI. Your ROI would be about 1 year, much sooner for those with 4 TV'.
An HTPC for about $500 or $600, $20 to $200 each for XBoxes (for additional TVs), but no WiFi. WiFi just doesn't work for streaming live TV. I have six tuners (2 CableCards) spread among 4 TVs. My hardware rental cost is about $5 a month.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

If such a solution were possible, then someone could set up some directional Wi-Fi antennas on their roof and sell subscriptions to their neighbors to watch a selection of Regular Digital and Prime channels, such as ESPN, NFL-Network, PPV-Boxing, HBO, SHO, SkinaMax, etc. Obviously the cable company engineers have gone out of their way to PREVENT scofflaws from doing this by the use of ENCRYPTION and Protected interfaces (HDMI and Firewire with HDCP). Users can NOT own CableCards because when the Cable company owns it, the USER doesn't have any standing whatsoever to modify it....and can/will be sued when caught. If you read your Verizon user's agreement, there are stiff penalties for violating the terms of the aforementioned agreement by misusing THEIR signals or equipment.

The PC arrangement was a long time coming...be thankful it even exists....ditto streaming to phones and tablets when supported by your local cable company....

Just because such a product can facilitate cable theft, it doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be sold. If that were the case, Slingbox would not be sold. The intent of such a product is to allow a subscriber to manage their channel viewing across various devices without relying on the cable company's equipment. Besides, they need to be open to modern solutions if they want to survive. I'm almost ready to cancel Fios TV all together and go with a streaming service over IP.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

An HTPC for about $500 or $600, $20 to $200 each for XBoxes (for additional TVs), but no WiFi. WiFi just doesn't work for streaming live TV. I have six tuners (2 CableCards) spread among 4 TVs. My hardware rental cost is about $5 a month.

If your Wi-Fi network is setup properly(which is key because most Wi-Fi networks are not setup properly) and you aren't in a highly congested WiFi area, streaming TV will have no issues. I have two TiVo Elites, a couple of TiVo Minis and an OTA only Premiere. I can have everything connected over MoCA/EThernet or run everything through wireless bridges. My experience will be the same. I will have no issues streaming any content between multiple devices whether it's over wireless or using the wired connections. But my Wifi network is setup properly which means I have multiple Access Points and I am not congested at those APs.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvic View Post

Just because such a product can facilitate cable theft, it doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be sold. If that were the case, Slingbox would not be sold. The intent of such a product is to allow a subscriber to manage their channel viewing across various devices without relying on the cable company's equipment. Besides, they need to be open to modern solutions if they want to survive. I'm almost ready to cancel Fios TV all together and go with a streaming service over IP.

Cable companies have a stranglehold on content. It's slowly making it's way to streaming services and companies like Intel are trying to push à la carte subscription services but it's slow going. Big studios and network have no reason to move from cable. You're almost going to have to wait for a couple of generations of subscribers to die off before you see any real change. I'm already going to cancel FIOS TV. I'm not under contract right now and I'm just waiting for my gf to watch the recorded stuff she has that we can't find online or on DVD anywhere. After that.... gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

If your Wi-Fi network is setup properly(which is key because most Wi-Fi networks are not setup properly) and you aren't in a highly congested WiFi area, streaming TV will have no issues. I have two TiVo Elites, a couple of TiVo Minis and an OTA only Premiere. I can have everything connected over MoCA/EThernet or run everything through wireless bridges. My experience will be the same. I will have no issues streaming any content between multiple devices whether it's over wireless or using the wired connections. But my Wifi network is setup properly which means I have multiple Access Points and I am not congested at those APs.

Yeah I have no issues streaming any content over WiFi. Just use your smartphone or tablet to make sure you're using a broadcast channel that isn't widely used around you and get a good WiFi AP. I picked up a Verizon Actiontec MI424WR rev I to replace my rev E for $60. It's an awesome access point plus it's a MoCA bridge. I don't have any issues streaming live TV from my HDHomeRun Prime or any HD ripped content.

post #12 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvic View Post

Slingbox was "allowed" go get away with it because they ONLY stream to ONE remote user at a time.

BTW: Have you tried using "FIOS Mobile" local Wi-Fi Steaming of Cable & PPV content to iPAD (ONLY)????
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412719,00.asp
Now if someone can figure out how to connect a tablet to an HDTV like we can connect PC's to remote monitors....or FIOS adds support for streaming to PC's like other cable providers....
post #13 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Slingbox was "allowed" go get away with it because they ONLY stream to ONE remote user at a time.

BTW: Have you tried using "FIOS Mobile" local Wi-Fi Steaming of Cable & PPV content to iPAD (ONLY)????
Now if someone can figure out how to connect a tablet to an HDTV like we can connect PC's to remote monitors....or FIOS adds support for streaming to PC's like other cable providers....

Fios Mobile is on Android as well. Plus with wireless display features and HDMI out on Android devices we can already display our mobile devices on our TVs. Use something like Miracast to just flip it up onto your TV. I do this with my N4 all the time.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Have you tried using "FIOS Mobile" local Wi-Fi Steaming of Cable & PPV content to iPAD (ONLY)????

Great concept, but really weak implementation. Small subset of subscribed channels and only a few premium channels available, no local channels, no access to recorded content and no video on demand. It's almost like they felt they had to release something in the face of the competition and this was the absolute minimum they thought they could get away with.

Ken
post #15 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

They did, it's called Apple TV and AirPlay and or airplay mirroring.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #16 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Streaming Video can be done by WiFi. Streaming live TV not so well. You can always re-read and re-send scrozzled video if it's coming from a disk. No such option with live TV (unless you buffer it and then it isn't exactly real time). And it seems to me that a box of CAT wire is a lot cheaper than multiple APs and the Faraday shielding it would take most of us to achieve a non congested, interference free RF environment. I commend you on your steadfastness to achieve wireless TV and apologize for not including the word "well' in my original statement:
Quote:
WiFi just doesn't work (well) for streaming live TV
post #17 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Can the Motorola new series of Motorola set top boxes output both HDMI and component simultaneously?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page