Tenino, WA: New antenna.....aiming at Seattle towers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in Wa state and just finished up installing a brand new Winegard HD 7698P. This sits up on my detached garage roof. My goal was to hopefully get TV stations up North of me like KIRO, KING, and KOMO, to name a few. Anyway, I get the antenna pointed in the right direction and scan for channels. Afterward I end up with only 13 channels and sub channels. KIRO, KING, and KOMO didn't even come up. I messed around with the rotator and re-scanned several times with the antenna in slightly different positions.....no dice.

I decided to spin the antenna towards the south and see what I could pick up in Portland Oregon....if anything. I scan for channels, and end up with 32 channels and sub channels. I start going through the channels and there's KIRO, KING, and KOMO with 100% channels strength. There's also the other channels that I wanted from the North.

What's up with this? I know which end of the antenna is suppose to be pointed towards the towers, yet I pick up my Northern stations with it pointed South. rolleyes.gif Any ideas? I mean I'm super happy with all my channels, but curious about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Defective compass?

Keep in mind that the narrower end points to the direction of the towers with the corner reflector forming a "V" that points in the opposite direction.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post

I'm in Wa state and just finished up installing a brand new Winegard HD 7698P. This sits up on my detached garage roof. My goal was to hopefully get TV stations up North of me like KIRO, KING, and KOMO, to name a few. Anyway, I get the antenna pointed in the right direction and scan for channels. Afterward I end up with only 13 channels and sub channels. KIRO, KING, and KOMO didn't even come up. I messed around with the rotator and re-scanned several times with the antenna in slightly different positions.....no dice.

I decided to spin the antenna towards the south and see what I could pick up in Portland Oregon....if anything. I scan for channels, and end up with 32 channels and sub channels. I start going through the channels and there's KIRO, KING, and KOMO with 100% channels strength. There's also the other channels that I wanted from the North.

What's up with this? I know which end of the antenna is suppose to be pointed towards the towers, yet I pick up my Northern stations with it pointed South. rolleyes.gif Any ideas? I mean I'm super happy with all my channels, but curious about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

Defective compass?

Keep in mind that the narrower end points to the direction of the towers with the corner reflector forming a "V" that points in the opposite direction.

Although I did use a compass, I know which way North is by just living here all my life. I do have the antenna pointed correctly.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Although I did use a compass, I know which way North is by just living here all my life. I do have the antenna pointed correctly.

I believe AVS wants you to:
Quote:
Put a LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post

Seattle WA has a 16° magnetic declination, did you account for this?
post #5 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Post your TVFool report link, so we can help you figure out the situation. Maybe the Seattle stations to the north have low-powered translators to the south of you, that happen to be stronger in your area.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm adding my TV fools report. I live just south of Tumwater WA state. I live up on a hill so I'm not down in the valley. I have tall fir trees between me and the signals coming from the North. To the South, the trees are much less, but I have really tall hills to the South. Can TV signals bounce?? Could it be that the signals from the North are being disrupted by the trees, but bouncing off the hills to the South of me and coming back to my antenna pointed toward the South?

post #7 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I know my report makes KIRO, KING, and KOMO look like bad reception, but I am receiving all three at 100%.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can you copy & paste the link instead of just saving the image? This way we can see the actual path profiles.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
There is a FM station KAOS close to Tumwater that may be overloading your HDTV receiver messing up your reception. Probably when your antenna looks north you are also looking at the FM transmit antenna getting a very strong signal but when you turn your antenna to the south, you are receiving very little of the signal. Are you using the FM filter in your preamplifier or an external one? I would try a FM filter to see if it solves your reception problem.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Thread title edited to add location as required in the section (as mentioned above)

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Can you copy & paste the link instead of just saving the image? This way we can see the actual path profiles.

Done!
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d055958aa790477
post #12 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

There is a FM station KAOS close to Tumwater that may be overloading your HDTV receiver messing up your reception. Probably when your antenna looks north you are also looking at the FM transmit antenna getting a very strong signal but when you turn your antenna to the south, you are receiving very little of the signal. Are you using the FM filter in your preamplifier or an external one? I would try a FM filter to see if it solves your reception problem.

There are actually a hand full of FM stations throughout Tumwater, Olympia, and Lacey. I can think of four off hand. I am using a CM-7777 TITAN 2 Antenna Preamplifier. I know it has an FM trap, but I have no idea if it's set up to filter FM. I haven't touched it, so whatever it is by default is what it's set to do. I will check into that....thanks!
post #13 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

The FM trap is in the "In" position.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The FM trap is in the "In" position.

I use a Channel Master pre-amplifier and its specification sheet states the FM Switchable Trap only works from 95-108 MHz. KAOS is at 89.3 MHz, so the FM trap is not attenuating that station. My pre-amplifier has a tunable FM Trap but I'm not sure if the CM7777 has one. A R* S* FM Trap may help but the reviews says it doesn't work very well at the low end of the FM band. If that is the case, I would just keep your antenna pointed south.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

I would just keep your antenna pointed south.

It's definitely staying pointed south. I can't believe how well I'm getting KING, KOMO, and KIRO. I am just really curious about why I'm getting all these channels with such good reception. The only thing I can think of is the signals are bouncing back off the hills to the South of me. The hills are really close. But, I have no idea if signals bounce like that. I was reading about one guy that had his antenna pointed at a huge water tank in his area. The tank was in the opposite direction of the signals he wanted but aiming at the tank gave him the best reception.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

It's definitely staying pointed south. I can't believe how well I'm getting KING, KOMO, and KIRO. I am just really curious about why I'm getting all these channels with such good reception. The only thing I can think of is the signals are bouncing back off the hills to the South of me. The hills are really close. But, I have no idea if signals bounce like that. I was reading about one guy that had his antenna pointed at a huge water tank in his area. The tank was in the opposite direction of the signals he wanted but aiming at the tank gave him the best reception.

You are correct. Signals bounce. That's what contributes to multipath issues. The best reflected signal I've read about locally is from a forum member in Oroville, Ca. He is approximately 80 miles north of the Walnut Grove towers. He is also less than 1 mile from Table Mountain. Table Mountain is a Mesa. Essentially, he has a wall of rock rising around 500 feet nearby. It still has line of sight to the towers, even at that distance. To receive the Walnut Grove signals, he aims his antenna to the northeast.
The best direction to aim an antenna is the one that works for what you are trying to receive.
egnlsn likes this.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page