considering DirectTV - have questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a house and want to try satellite HDTV since I'm not happy with the local service. I was going through the checkout process on DirectTV website and noticed a "advanced equipment service fee" of $25. They take $10 off for 24 mths if you sign up for auto bill pay and provide your email. I selected the Genie receiver that had a $299 price which discounted to $0. I tried to chat with a customer service rep but he wasn't helpful.

My issue is this advanced equipment service fee would cost me $360 after the first 2 years ($61 more than their retail cost at $299) and $660 after 3 years! Would I even own the Genie or is it "rented"?

So my question is, is there anyway around this? Can I buy my own receiver from another party and just call to have service hooked up and not pay this extra fee???. The previous owners of the house had DirectTV and the dish and cables are still in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You pay the fees whether the receiver is owned or leased, it doesn't matter.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. Thats what I was afraid of. I like how they dont include these fees on the main page pricing.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yep, although if you have only one receiver (non DVR) and it's SD then those prices on the main page are correct.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The "advanced equipment service fee" that you are talking about is their new bundled package that includes the former add on packages that they used to use such as DVR Service ($10/month), HD Service ($10/month), and Whole Home DVR Service ($3/month). Evidently people told marketing they didn't like all those line items being seperate on their bill so now they are all combined, and I guess DirecTV decided to bump up the cost a couple dollars at the same time.

I believe any new customer who gets an HD-DVR or Genie and one additional HD-DVR, HD receiver, or Genie Client automatically has to have this $25 advanced equipment service fee. Old customers still have the 3 seperate fees.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page