Bypass virtual channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in Colorado Springs, CO trying to pick up Denver TV stations. I am able to get two UHF channels from Denver with an outside antenna on a rotor but run in to a problem when trying to get other channels. Those channels are the real channels from Denver but are the virtual channels for local stations. For example, I have tried to directly tune in a Denver station on Channel 13 but if I enter 13.1 I get a local station that is really broadcasting on channel 24. So, the virtual channel is preempting the real channel I am trying to receive. How can I bypass the virtual tuning and just enter the real channel I want? I have a Sharp HDTV that I am using to get distant TV. Would the fix differ from TV model to TV model? If I unhook the antenna and do a scan to erase channel memory I run into the problem that local stations are less than 5 miles away and are very strong. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here is the tvfool report for Colorado Springs; using your exact address would be more accurate:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d0559b07944b02a
Quote:
I am able to get two UHF channels from Denver with an outside antenna on a rotor
Which ones?

What Denver channel do you want? Is it KDBI on real channel 13, virtual channel 12.1?

Is your antenna for UHF only, or can it pick up VHF?
Quote:
I have a Sharp HDTV that I am using to get distant TV. Would the fix differ from TV model to TV model?
Yes, different models have different features. With my SONY I can add a channel after scan. Try entering 13 for the real channel or try entering 12.1.

KDBI is a very weak 2Edge signal with a NM of -13.2 dB and signal power of -104 dBm. The problem is that you will need a high gain VHF-HI antenna and a preamp for that channel, but your strong local channels will overload the preamp.

If KDBI is the channel you want it will probably require a separate antenna just for it with a single-channel bandpass filter for CH 13 and a preamp.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
When local stations are only 5 miles away, reception of distant stations will usually be between difficult and impossible.

The strong signals will usually swamp the tuner's front-end and desensitize it to the weaker signals.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgcj View Post

I am in Colorado Springs, CO trying to pick up Denver TV stations. I am able to get two UHF channels from Denver with an outside antenna on a rotor but run in to a problem when trying to get other channels. Those channels are the real channels from Denver but are the virtual channels for local stations. For example, I have tried to directly tune in a Denver station on Channel 13 but if I enter 13.1 I get a local station that is really broadcasting on channel 24. So, the virtual channel is preempting the real channel I am trying to receive. How can I bypass the virtual tuning and just enter the real channel I want? I have a Sharp HDTV that I am using to get distant TV. Would the fix differ from TV model to TV model? If I unhook the antenna and do a scan to erase channel memory I run into the problem that local stations are less than 5 miles away and are very strong. Thanks for any help.

On my Sony TV, when I run Auto Program, the channel memory is erased immediately. So what you have to do is run Auto Program then immediately stop/cancel it.

To tune the Denver station, you need to look up the real channel.subchannel. The real channel 13.1 may not be the actual real channel identifier. It could be 13.3 or 13.4, etc.

You can find the actual real channel.subchannel at rabbitears.info under the Denver station listing.

If you can't receive the Denver stations you want, then as the other posters have said it may be very difficult due to the nearby local stations.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do as retiredengineer suggested & clear the memory by starting & stopping the scan immediately after it starts. If that doesn't work, disconnect the antenna & run the scan. This must been done first for you to see if any of the missing Denver stations are even possible.

After the memory is cleared, point the antenna towards Denver & start manually entering the real (not virtual) channel numbers for the desired stations. If that doesn't work, try the auto scan with the antenna in that position to see if any more of the Denver stations appear. Once all the available Denver stations are stored in the memory, point the antenna towards Colorado Springs & manually add those channels.

You may need to get creative if you run into any real/virtual channel conflicts. This will require rotating the antenna between the 2 market to facilitate adding the channels in the correct order to work around any conflicts.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Why are you trying to get KBDI on channel 13? It has a translator in Colorado Springs on channel 31.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
trip- can you tell howto find a channel that appears on my sony but is not broadcasting. I have a feeling it is due to tropo. the channels in question are 29.8 and 34.86. thanks for any assistance.
rjv
Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
rviele, I'll comment in your other thread.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We have a problem in our area, that one of the local channels and its sub, is transmitted in the real channel #, not the virtual. One of our tv's will pick up the virtual channel #s, but the other that we have hooked up to our antennas in the attic, picks them up under the real channel #s. That may be the case with what is happening in your area, and with the tv you are using. What is the make & model# of the tv you are using. That does help in these kind of situations.