Direct TV box power surge throught the HDMI cable. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 58 inch Panasonic Viera TV lost power a few days ago. The tech came today and said that a power surge came through the Direct TV box and into the TV via the HDMI cable. This fried my main board, sub power supply, and main power supply for a total of about $700 with labor. What would Direct TV's liability be on something like this if it was their equipment that caused the surge? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Depends on if the bond to the electrical ground was properly crafted. Based on my experience both Dish and Direct install techs do a poor job at this. The question is will they pony up if you show fault or will you have to pursue legal action. Is the cost worth the return?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
it's very unlikely that the DirecTV box "caused the surge". Did you have a thunderstorm? It is quite possible that the shortest path to ground from the DirecTv box was through the HDMI cable, even if the DirecTv system was grounded correctly. Also it does not matter how good the grounding of everything is, and how much you try to protect the equipment against surges, you can't protect against a close-in lightning strike without spending several thousand dollars on a complete home protection system (including lightning rods).
post #4 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

it's very unlikely that the DirecTV box "caused the surge". Did you have a thunderstorm? It is quite possible that the shortest path to ground from the DirecTv box was through the HDMI cable, even if the DirecTv system was grounded correctly. Also it does not matter how good the grounding of everything is, and how much you try to protect the equipment against surges, you can't protect against a close-in lightning strike without spending several thousand dollars on a complete home protection system (including lightning rods).
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

My reply posted twice....!!
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
If you live in an area with high probability for power outages, lightening strikes, etc, then it's really up to you to make sure your house and electronics are properly protected. Even phone lines can carry power surges. So if you live in such an area, use a good surge protector and run all of your cabling thru it first (coax, HDMI, phone line, etc) before connecting to your equipment. This is probably not the first time that your sat provider has encountered this so they more than likely will not pay for the damages and can just say that their equipment was properly grounded and the fault lies with you. Sucks big time I know but that's the way they play.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwidep View Post

The tech came today and said that a power surge came through the Direct TV box and into the TV via the HDMI cable.
How does he know that? For that matter, how does he know it was even a surge that caused your problem? Sounds to me like your tech is BSing you, if not cheating you.

FWIW damaging surges can enter via any conductive port: AC, HDMI cable, antenna cable, etc. The DirecTV box did not cause the surge, at most it just allowed it through. Unless there was a nearby lightning strike, the surge, if there was one, probably was on the AC.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Liked: 20
Power surges can really be a serious problem. However not all that suffer the fate are as a result of lightning. Some are higher voltage lines on a pole falling into the lower voltage wires below. One serious fault that is present in every older home I've been in. The older two wire AC outlets in these units are ungrounded. Ground busters and such efforts to plug a three prong plug into a two prong outlet. Intermixing is common place where the outlets are not polarized(the oldest) and mixing HOT and NEUTRAL can result in 120 volts AC between the ground on two devices. Now, you interconnect the devices, say a printer and a PC together with a USB cable. These older homes don't have GFI (ground fault interupt) protection in either the main breaker box or individual outlets. Cables will get hot enough to start a fire, besides doing serious damage to the devices. These interconnections can be by any method that uses a ground in the cable. Coax, composite audio and video cables, VGA connectors and HDMI were never intended to handle any current draw through them. USB will handle some overvoltage but often just dies.(VERY COMMON) I doubt that any device will create a surge but without adequate protection all it takes is a neighbor with a welder.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. The tech that checked it out said that she had seen several instances of the installers not grounding the dish, and the surge coming from the dish, through the box, and through the HDMI cable to the TV. It was a guess because the TV is completely dead, and the HDMI on the box wasn't working on my the other HDTV. Well, it turns out that the HDMI wasn't working because I still had it set on 1080p instead of 1080i (It's a sony KD-34XBR970). The DTV box is fine, and we are thinking that I am only going to have to replace the power supplies inside the TV. This will be quite a bit cheaper, but it is panasonic manufacturing, not the DTV installers at fault on this one. Thanks again.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM

The exact same thing happened to me with my Panasonic 55 inch Viera TV in mid-July...I had to have it serviced and three boards needed to be replaced. The television repair guy asked if I had Directv and he had said they have had numerous reports of the same issue happening since June...that is when I had the newest directv box installed.

There was no lightening or storms in the area when this occurred. We also have a whole house surge protector and the tv was on a surge protector also....

Has anyone else heard of increases in this happening? Can this be linked to problems with their new box?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page