Relaying antenna reception - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
He could use fiber optics, and build a small Cable-TV style head-end up on the hill. It wouldn't have to be very elaborate, but you'd need power up there. Solar cells and batteries could work, or a small natural gas/propane generator. There are a few TV translator stations out here in the west, that use a thermal electric generator.

I have a friend who has her antennas 500 feet from her house, using RG-6/U. I'd put something like a fiber, or RG-11/U, inside of some heavy water hose for protection.

One thing to remember...if the system crosses property lines and right-of-ways, it's legally a "Cable TV System". Keeping it within your own property simplifies things a lot.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ouch Kenglish. I just saw nothing but dollar signs.
post #33 of 34 Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

'''One thing to remember...if the system crosses property lines and right-of-ways, it's legally a "Cable TV System". Keeping it within your own property simplifies things a lot.

In the moonshine hinterlands, he has a better chance of being arrested by the mattress tag police.
post #34 of 34 Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The "Cable Style headend" would be much like a small MATV, or larger home system. Preamps, some multiplex filtering, a combiner.
He'd need a small F-O transmitter up there, and some way of making power for it all.
The F-O receiver would go at his house (and, might feed several adjoining homes...that's why I mentioned "right of way" wink.gif )

Probably talking a thousand bucks or two...still cheaper than a translator station site.

I'd try back-to-back antennas first. Then, maybe try using some RG-11, rather than fiber. Maybe some cable TV semi-flex (aluminum) line, but it would be tricky to work with.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page