Share Dish with Neighbor Apartment Self-Install Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought another receiver (H24-700) for me to take with me to our vacation home. My neighbor has DirecTV, so I figured I could tap into his dish and not have to install another one. Turns out technology has changed a bit. He has the WNC SL3SWMPR1-WNC Rev1 LNB. The single wire goes into the distribution box outside that has a single wire that goes to each of our apartments. I am guessing his inverter and switch are within his unit (of course he is out of town this weekend, but knows I am doing this). Is there anything we can do to share the dish? We only have 5 units at the place, and would prefer not to have another dish installed next to the existing one.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
DTV = Digital television, or over-the-air
D* = DirecTV
E* = Echostar, or Dish Network.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorehouse View Post

I bought another receiver (H24-700) for me to take with me to our vacation home. My neighbor has DirecTV, so I figured I could tap into his dish and not have to install another one. Turns out technology has changed a bit. He has the WNC SL3SWMPR1-WNC Rev1 LNB. The single wire goes into the distribution box outside that has a single wire that goes to each of our apartments. I am guessing his inverter and switch are within his unit (of course he is out of town this weekend, but knows I am doing this). Is there anything we can do to share the dish? We only have 5 units at the place, and would prefer not to have another dish installed next to the existing one.

Thanks in advance!

What he has is an SWM dish, the single cable probably goes into an 8-way SWS splitter. The dish requires a power inserter (just one) which might be in the distribution box, or otherwise somewhere in his apartment. The dish can support up to eight tuners (DVR is two tuners, receiver is one) so whether other receivers can be connected depends on how many tuners he is already using. If too many tuners are connected, the existing ones won't work. If all five apartments end up with DirecTV connections, it will be really easy to go over the eight tuner limit.

If you won't go over the eight tuner limit, then just connecting the H24 will work, assuming there is an active cable from the distribution box into your apartment. But the whole thing has to be managed very carefully. And if there is a problem, and the DirecTV tech gets called out, he is going to be very unhappy if the problem is in one of the other apartments since he probably won't be able to get to all the equipment.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page