HDMI signal loss with extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently, I have a 50' hdmi run from my media hub to my TV. They are two 25' cables with an HDMI extender/repeater in the middle. No power adapter yet.
I have a TV being ordered for that spot that will arrive in the next few days. In the meantime, I took my daughter's TV out of her room and used it as a test run.
Heres my problem: When connected to my blu ray player, I get a great video and audio feed. No issues.
Now, when I connect to my HT receiver or my Directv receiver, I get audio only. I cannot tune the equalizer to get a picture. Do I need the power adapter to boost the signal? It has been hard to find one. I am thinking that maybe I need to move where the HDMI extender/repeater is placed in the chain.

Any thoughts?
If I need to buy the adapter, Monoprice doesnt sell it. And the specs are 5V DC @ 2A with 5.5 mm barrel and 2.5 mm pin size. Any help locating that would be awesome too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 220
50' is pretty long. What about using a Redmere cable? They can go much longer than the 25' max for passive High Speed HDMI because they draw a little power from the sink (tv) end. They're also thinner cables.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-17-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Changing cables is not an option. They are in wall.
My thing is that if it works with my blu ray but not with the receiver, then those are weak hdmi outs. I would think a power adapter would work, right? Just having trouble finding one. Or does where I place the extender on the chain matter??
post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The link below is for a HDMI extender/equalizer according to the instructions : "For installation, the repeater should be placed as close as possible to the destination device (TV). There is no set standard for adjusting the EQ switch because each situation and each piece of equipment varies. Start with the default 0 setting then try increasing the amount of EQ one click at a time until a clean and reliable signal is seen on the TV."

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10105&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8120&seq=1&format=2
post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

I did what you said in the reply to no avail. BUT.... I removed the extender and just used a coupler, and PERFECT signal. The only reason I used the extender in the first place was because I was thought I would need it because the run is 50' through the wall, then the 3' to the TV.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page