Any way to use a 15 pin VGA cable as an HDMI cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to use a 30ft long 15 pin VGA cable as an HDMI cable.

The reason I am asking is that there is no attic or crawl space to run a new cable to the location where the existing VGA cable terminates. I want to keep the signal in the digital domain and not convert to analog and then back to digital as both the source and display will use HDMI. HDMI has 19 pins though, instead of 15 pins. I have seen some HDMI to VGA converters (non-processors) on Amazon, but have no idea if these would work if I use them at both ends. I could make a custom cable, but am short 4 pins so would need to know which ones to drop. I prefer to use a readily available converter of some type.

Worst case I can do without audio as there is a set of stereo RCA's run to the same location, but I definitely need to retain all video capability including HDCP.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can you tie on to the existing cable and pull in a new HDMI?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

No chance. It was put in a long time ago during a full remodel of the home and it goes through the rafters somehow and in and out of drop ceilings and duct work most likely.

Wireless HDMI is also not an option. It appears I could drop some combination of pins 14 through 19.

There are nineteen pins in an HDMI connector, as seen in the following illustration:

http://www.hdmi.org/images/inside_hdmi_cable.jpg

HDMI cable
Pins 1 through 9 carry the three TMDS data channels (Transition Minimized Differential Signaling – the technology that allows DVI and HDMI to send high-speed digital data), three pins per channel. TMDS data includes both video and audio information, and each channel has three separate lines for + values, - values, and a ground or data shield.

Pins 10 through 12 carry data for the TMDS clock channel, which helps keep the signals in synchronization. As with the TMDS data channels, there are separate lines for + values, - values, and a data shield.

Pin 13 is carries the CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) channel, used for sending command and control data between connected devices.

Pin 14 is reserved for future use.

Pins 15 and 16 are dedicated to the DDC (Display Data Channel), used for communicating EDID (Extended Display Identification Channel) information between devices.

Pin 17 is a data shield for the CEC and DDC channels.

Pin 18 carries a low-voltage (+5V) power supply.

Pin 19 is the Hot Plug Detect, dedicated to monitoring power up/down and plug/unplug events.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Could you snake a pair of Cat6 behind a baseboard?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Possibly, I could get some cat 5 close by, but not all the way without doing some drywall repairs. I think before I do that I may just convert to analog and back to digital using processors of some type. Obviously not a cheap solution.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Some HDMI extenders are a little pricy, e.g. HDBaseT models. Others are not too bad. Here is one from Monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page