Cable from Internet provider - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just switched my tv provider and I'm now getting my tv signal through my Internet connection. Problem is, now I can't get wifi or Internet on my tv. Is it possible to split the Ethernet cable and send one to the tv receiver and one to the tv so I can get Internet hard wired to my tv? Not really up on this stuff so any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Sounds like you need a WiFi router with ethernet ports so that you can hard wire your tv via a switch. What I did was install a Cat-6 cable which I connect to my router with an ethernet cable. At the HT end, I connect the Cat-6 cable, again with an ethernet cable, to a gigabit switch. From there, it's ethernet to my devices (blu-ray playere, AppleTV2, etc).
post #3 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Big daddy can you provide a little more info? As far as I know all TV providers are video over coax so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by running ethernet to your tuner. What TV do you have? What provider do you use? What modem/router? Cable box?
post #4 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

Big daddy can you provide a little more info? As far as I know all TV providers are video over coax so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by running ethernet to your tuner. What TV do you have? What provider do you use? What modem/router? Cable box?
Not all are Video over coax. There is this little thing called IPTV. It uses both Coax & Ethernet for video delivery to set-top boxes, and has a gateway, iNID or ONT for the boxes to connect to.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Greg you are correct but I was referring to the op statement that he needed to split the ethernet feeding the TV receiver. I didn't see any mention of a set top box that would use the combo coax/ethernet ie uverse setup that you are referring too. Perhaps if you understood the op's question you might answer it ,I just was asking for a little clarification of what type of equipment he was using so I could give a helpful response.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently the OP needs to come back and clarify his question.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Apparently the OP needs to come back and clarify his question.
Most do not. KInd of like One night stands and ex's. If they do come back, hopefully they will be more clear in what they were wanting to know.

Now the answer to their question has been addressed in post #2, but to walk them through what they need to do, they must come back as you stated Otto, if they want us that know how to do this stuff help them out.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for lending a hand. I'm kind of a newbie at this stuff. I've got a vizio tv. The signal comes from my router, via a cable that looks like coax but has Ethernet ends on it. It comes into a table top box and that box is connected to the tv via hdmi. My tv was originally connected to the Internet via wifi but it now won't recognize any signal so I can't use any online features. It also does not recognize being hard wired to the Internet. My tv is in a back room so running cables is a pain. I was wondering if I could use the one line that has been run from the router to bring tv signal to the box and to hardwire Internet to my tv. The tv has an unused Ethernet plug on the back.
Thanks for any help.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

The only way to hardwire your tv is to connect it using the ethernet port on the tv to the ethernet port on your router. Plain and simple. Is your new router WiFi capable? You never really said. If it is, and you can't get a WiFi signal on your Vizio, then check the settings on the router or your tv. If not, I'd consider getting a WiFi router. Your setup is still a little vague though. HDMI is not intended for internet connections so that's why your tv doesn't recognize any signal.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 PM

Bigdaddy, order the Ethernet over Power adapters, to allow you to either do a Wifi bridge, or run a hard line, using the electrical wiring as your ethernet connection between plug in modules. This is the units that I am talking about http://www.trendnet.com/products/products.asp?cat=65 Trendnet is a good company, but their prices are a lot lower than Netgear or D-Link. Also they are pretty good in responding to issues, compared to Netgear.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ that's a good suggestion. I forgot about PowerLine Adapters. Keep in mind though that they are as good as the wiring is in your house, so if you have really old wiring there may be spikes or grounding issues that will affect your connection. It's also helpful to know if you're on the same circuit between outlets.
post #12 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Otto, you can have them on different branch circuits, but if one circuit goes through a sub-panel in say an outbuilding, they may not work, so you end up either pulling conduit and a Fiber backhaul, or use Wifi.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ you are correct. However, the condition of the house wiring is still very important if you are living in an old house or apartment building. Still, it's an easy, and relatively cheap thing to do. And if it works.... I think WiFi would be the easiest for him but I'm still not sure of his setup.
post #14 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. My router has wifi and I was able to get signal wirelessly on the tv when I had direct tv. I used it for Netflix and pandora and such. Now that I'm getting my tv signal thru my Internet, I can no longer receive a signal on my tv. And my Internet provider is being no help. I'm sorry my info is not detailed enough but I don't really understand this stuff too well. I have an Ethernet cable that is run to the receiver box by the tv. What I'm trying to figure out is, can I split that one line and still get tv signal and Internet access for my tv? Hope that helps. Thanks again.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM

It would not change things. Lets start from the beginning. Who is the provider you are using for tv & Internet, what is the Make & model# on the gateway or equipment they installed, that the tv boxes connects to? Post a picture if you wish.
post #16 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^ you are correct. However, the condition of the house wiring is still very important if you are living in an old house or apartment building. Still, it's an easy, and relatively cheap thing to do. And if it works.... I think WiFi would be the easiest for him but I'm still not sure of his setup.
Depends on how the wiring was done in that old house or apartment, but they should still work, regardless how old the wiring is.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy9702 View Post

Thanks for all the info. My router has wifi and I was able to get signal wirelessly on the tv when I had direct tv. I used it for Netflix and pandora and such. Now that I'm getting my tv signal thru my Internet, I can no longer receive a signal on my tv. And my Internet provider is being no help. I'm sorry my info is not detailed enough but I don't really understand this stuff too well. I have an Ethernet cable that is run to the receiver box by the tv. What I'm trying to figure out is, can I split that one line and still get tv signal and Internet access for my tv? Hope that helps. Thanks again.

Listen man, instead of saying "I get my tv through the Internet" multiple times, how about you tell us who your tv provider is so someone can help you better. Model of the router? is a router from the tv company? Is it AT&T uverse? They are the only ones that I know of that does iptv.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #18 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Aero 1, here is the list of the providers that currently do IPTV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iptv Also found in hotels and motels as a delivery of video to the rooms.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Depends on how the wiring was done in that old house or apartment, but they should still work, regardless how old the wiring is.

Fair enough. But I still don't understand why WiFi doesn't work if it did before. Once the connection hits the router he should still be able to send it via WiFi, unless I'm missing something obvious here. But yes, detailed info is needed: ISP, hardware involved, setup, etc. I've never been a fan of Vizio tv's so maybe it's just a setting that needs to be set or just a reset of the tv.
post #20 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 PM

Because most likely if the new Gateway has Wifi, it either is not turned on, or the OP never went through the process of setting up the tv for the new SSID for the new gateway. Some people believe that no matter what you do, when it comes to changing out equipment or providers, that your tv automatically notices this for the Wifi connection, and fixes itself magically by itself.

Until the OP comes back with the proper information, all we are doing is discussing this between ourselves Otto. Then again, I get calls like this, I end up with walking out with either a $50 or $100 in my hand for doing five minutes of work.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Because most likely if the new Gateway has Wifi, it either is not turned on, or the OP never went through the process of setting up the tv for the new SSID for the new gateway. Some people believe that no matter what you do, when it comes to changing out equipment or providers, that your tv automatically notices this for the Wifi connection, and fixes itself magically by itself.

Until the OP comes back with the proper information, all we are doing is discussing this between ourselves Otto. Then again, I get calls like this, I end up with walking out with either a $50 or $100 in my hand for doing five minutes of work.

I agree, but it's not a total loss. I learned a little bit more about PowerLine Adapters so how much do I owe ya? biggrin.gif
post #22 of 23 Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Nothing Otto. They are the best failsafe, for those who want quick and dirty, but if you live in an apartment/condo building, that others have the same models, or even other brands, and they do not set the proper security measures, like you would with a WiFi network, you are leaving your LAN open to the rest of the tenants.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent point and that brings us back to more specific info from the OP.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page