CableTV Decoding, Distribution, Fitness Center. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone assist with suggestions regarding distribution of cable tv for a fitness center? e.g. something to convert to clear QAM, or other means for seamless operation?

Situation:

My condo has a fitness center with 5 TVs. Before the switch to digital, we just plugged the cable into the cable ready TVs. We also had a notch filter so that we could pipe in CCTV on one channel.

The TVs do not have cable card slots.

Now, Verizon and Comcast both encrypt all channels, so we've had to add a cable box to each TV. It gets a bit confusing to switch between the remote functions for TV and remote functions for Cable, which we've tried to simplify with cheap and simple universal remotes.

Moreover, this causes issues since now you can get trapped on screens for ordering pay-per-view, on-demand, etc... when a users changes to a channel in error that we don't subscribe to...

I'd like to get rid of the cable boxes, or at least move them to somewhere central. Essentially, I'd like the TVs in the fitness center appear to operate seamlessly, like in a hotel.

Perhaps something that centrally decrypts the cable stream and then maps the each channel onto clear QAM that can then feed each TV -- as long as users can select channels at will? (I don't want to dedicate one TV per fixed channel). Happy to pay for each connection as we do now.

Open to suggestions, and thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM

If the major problem is the remote control operation itself, you'll be better off figuring out the way to work with the remotes (I don't know if Verizon can apply multiple codes for different remotes so they don't interfere each other, like E*), because your channel source will be the receivers no matter what, and in your case it will be way easier to feed your 5 Tvs with a receiver per, than building a Headend system with 40 or 60 receivers (like hotels using satellite) to feed only 5 Tvs.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Sorry multiple post
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page