camper set up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope y'all can help me out. When we had our Directv installed at the house (Genie) we also purchased a separate reciever (D12 MP) and and a dish (20LNBR1-01) for the camper. The tech set the azimuth and all that for me, and told me all I had to do was hook it up point it the right direction and that was it. Problem is that I have tried to get this working several times to no avail. I do not know a lot about satellite tv. I asked the tech if my azimuth would change at the place we camp, only about 80 miles south of where we live, he said no. That said, I am getting no signal at all, absolutely zero. Are the rec. & dish compatible ? Do I need a power inserter? Should I have two cables from the rec. to the dish? Very frustrated, any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
You're trying to hit a tiny point 22k miles in space, so it's not going to be easy. And you have a 3-lnb dish. Not terribly necessary for a standard definition receiver (unless you NEED foreign-language channels) and a lot harder to point.

You'll need a compass, first of all. Clear view of the southern sky. A level and a protractor with a piece of string with a nut attached also can help sight the thing. Yeah, 80 miles is going to make a difference. Small one, but your azimuth is probably wrong.

Assuming the platform the dish is on is absolutely level, go here to get the settings. Use the signal meter on the receiver (settings menu) to hone it in. Remember, this is digital. Any tiny movement you make will take a few seconds to register on the signal meter. Prepare for a long time of trial and error. I can do the ol' Ku band pizza dishes in about 30 minutes, max. Faster if I have a signal meter or a TV and the receiver next to me. A 3-lnb has a tilt setting as well as direction and elevation. As I said, not easy. I have done this with the old dish and a tripod at a campsite, before. Hardest part is a clear piece of sky. I tend to camp in the woods.

One cable is enough. Doubt you need additional power unless you have a honkin' long cable run.

Good luck.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasothrs View Post

Hope y'all can help me out. When we had our Directv installed at the house (Genie) we also purchased a separate reciever (D12 MP) and and a dish (20LNBR1-01) for the camper. The tech set the azimuth and all that for me, and told me all I had to do was hook it up point it the right direction and that was it. Problem is that I have tried to get this working several times to no avail. I do not know a lot about satellite tv. I asked the tech if my azimuth would change at the place we camp, only about 80 miles south of where we live, he said no. That said, I am getting no signal at all, absolutely zero. Are the rec. & dish compatible ? Do I need a power inserter? Should I have two cables from the rec. to the dish? Very frustrated, any help is much appreciated.

Has the D12 ever been connected to the dish at home? It might be in "SWM mode" and the camper dish is not SWM.
Go into satellite setup. Set the multiswitch type to "multiswitch" then set the dish type to Phase III oval. Then follow Dr Don's alignment instructions.
DrDon likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 PM

Liked: 32
The tech is an idiot. Yes your asimuth will change when you move across the planet. They do make a tuning tool that you can use for aiming, instead of taking the tv out there with you, while trying. This is a cheap tuner http://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Aiming-Tuning-Network-DirecTV/dp/B003XJM3Q4 If you are going to be camping a lot, invest in one of these http://www.winegard.com/roof-mounted-satellite-antennas/index.php Make your life easier, than spending two hours out in the sun setting up the antenna.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
2 hours ? I can do a Dish500 in about 15 minutes if I have to - and yes - having the satelite aiming tuning meter (along with a compass and maybe the protractor) makes the job much easier.

Also - Unless you ALWAYS park your RV pointed the same azimuth - you WILL have to reaim the dish everytime you move your camper.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

2 hours ? I can do a Dish500 in about 15 minutes if I have to - and yes - having the satelite aiming tuning meter (along with a compass and maybe the protractor) makes the job much easier.

Also - Unless you ALWAYS park your RV pointed the same azimuth - you WILL have to re-aim the dish every time you move your camper.
Yes if you know what you are doing. Most that do not have the tools, or have never done it, it can take them some time to get it right. Now of course there is this site for cheating http://www.dishpointer.com/ They also have a Android app, and there is a iOS app. There is also this one for iOS http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/dish-for-my-rv-satellite-finder.html DirecTV Dish pointer http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

Any of those listed for the OP, would probably be better than going back and forth looking at a screen on a small flatscreen out there while you make the adjustments.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...thanks y'all I will give it another try. I do not mount the dish on the camper, we use a portable tripod.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Texasbrit----Has the D12 ever been connected to the dish at home? It might be in "SWM mode" and the camper dish is not SWM.
Go into satellite setup. Set the multiswitch type to "multiswitch" then set the dish type to Phase III oval. Then follow Dr Don's alignment instructions.

No was never hooked to the house...but it was set to SWM...this may be where my first obstacle is not sure what dish size we were on...I tried a few different ones, but do not remember a Phase III oval...just doesn't ring a bell. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:06 PM

My mistake. I was zoned out and did not pay attention earlier that this is Direct, not dish. Sorry about the earlier info.