Please help me with S/PDIF / HDMI setup of future HDTV. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In the room that I keep my gaming device (currently an Xbox 360, soon to be a PlayStation 4), I've got a very old HDTV that I soon wish to replace, and a very old receiver that I don't wish to replace for a while. The receiver has 1 SPDIF input and composite stereo ports. The HDTV I'm looking at comes with the following ports:

3x HDMI Audio/Video In (Side)
3x USB Audio/Video/Photo In (Side)
1x RCA Component Video In (Rear)
1x RCA Composite Video In (Rear)
1x RCA Stereo (L/R) Audio In (Rear)
1x Ethernet LAN In (Rear)
1x SPDIF Audio Out (Rear)
1x RF Antenna In (Rear)
1x RS-232C Control/Service In/Out (Rear)

Is there a simple way of hooking up my cable box and Xbox 360 (and soon to be PS4) to my HDTV using HDMI, and using the SPDIF cable to connect my HDTV and receiver? Will it work that way? I know that doing that will provide audio to the TV itself, from the cable box and the Xbox, but will the TV's SPDIF output to the receiver, for both of those devices? Or does the TV's SPDIF only work for audio that originates with the TV (such as, the built-in Netflix it comes with)?

My Xbox has its own SPDIF port, and the PS4 has its own port, so I'm wondering if I'll have to use that in the event of any HDCP issues that might crop up, but since the TV would be getting the audio from an HDMI cable, I don't know if that applies.

Can any experts chime in and tell me what my options are here? I'm trying to not have to buy anything other than a new HDTV, in order to get surround sound from my cable box and my Xbox.

Side note: Surround sound from my Cable box is the *least important* thing to me. I'm more concerned about getting surround sound from my games and my streaming movies.

Right now, I use my TV's speakers for my cable (I'm fine with that), and use the SPDIF with my Xbox (due to games, Netflix, movies streamed from my PC, etc). But, since this HDTV has Netflix, and supports movie playback (DivX support) either via streaming or USB, I *definitely* want to get surround sound using my TV's built in apps, but I'd also like surround sound for my games and the Blu-ray movies that the PS4 will support.

Also, since this is a 2013 model HDTV, I assume it supports HDMI ARC for at least one HDMI input, but my receiver is old so I don't think it will support that... Also, it being a 2013 model HDTV (an LG LN5700 model, to be exact), it *should* support passthrough from HDMI to the SPDIF, right? Or will everything be downmixed to 2.1?

Please advise!

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

Please advise.
The best advice I can give you is to stop assuming things.

You need to check the manual for the TV you are getting to see what kind of audio it will output to your AVR and whether it supports ARC.

ARC is moot unless both the TV and the AVR support it.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The SPDIF output on the tv will always be on regardless of what input you are using. The big question is can your new tv output Dolby Digital 5.1 when using inputs other than the internal antenna tuner input or apps. Most tvs out there will downmix the output to 2.1 stereo, however I have been noticing more and more tv's are outputting 5.1 from the tv's optical out. My 2013 Vizio and my 2009 Zenith (actually LG) does output 5.1 from the optical out when using my cable box or DVD player. So you may be in luck.
If however your tv does not do this, and if your receiver only has 1 optical input, then you are probably better off using the xbox/PS4 to watch games and stream Netflix.
Also keep in mind when playing games or watching Blu-Rays on your PS4, you will not get Dolby Tru-HD or DTS-MA , which is fine since you will still get 5.1 out of the receiver. But when you shop for a new receiver, make sure it can support those formats. Also keep in mind to get Dolby Tru-HD or DTS-MA, the PS4 must be hooked up to the receiver by HDMI. It will not be supported using an optical cable.

Just curious, what is the model of your receiver?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

The SPDIF output on the tv will always be on regardless of what input you are using. The big question is can your new tv output Dolby Digital 5.1 when using inputs other than the internal antenna tuner input or apps. Most tvs out there will downmix the output to 2.1 stereo, however I have been noticing more and more tv's are outputting 5.1 from the tv's optical out. My 2013 Vizio and my 2009 Zenith (actually LG) does output 5.1 from the optical out when using my cable box or DVD player. So you may be in luck.
If however your tv does not do this, and if your receiver only has 1 optical input, then you are probably better off using the xbox/PS4 to watch games and stream Netflix.
Also keep in mind when playing games or watching Blu-Rays on your PS4, you will not get Dolby Tru-HD or DTS-MA , which is fine since you will still get 5.1 out of the receiver. But when you shop for a new receiver, make sure it can support those formats. Also keep in mind to get Dolby Tru-HD or DTS-MA, the PS4 must be hooked up to the receiver by HDMI. It will not be supported using an optical cable.

Just curious, what is the model of your receiver?

Thanks!

From the owner's manual, I see:

To use Digital Sound Out
SMART ➾ Settings ➙ SOUND ➙ Sound Out ➙ External
Speaker(Optical/HDMI ARC) ➙ Digital Sound Out
Sets up Digital Sound Output.

Item | Sound Input Digital | Sound output

Auto | MPEG | PCM
Dolby Digital | Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus | Dolby Digital
HE-AAC | Dolby Digital
PCM | All | PCM

So, judging by that, the Optical can output to either PCM or Dolby Digital, which is fine by me. However, it also says, "Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may block digital audio output." - So, that could mean Blu-ray and game, unless I plug directly into the PS4's optical port. As the poster above you suggested, I need to stop assuming things, but it's difficult when the manuals do not give me all of the information I'm looking for.

I suppose I could always use a TOSLINK splitter, but now you guys have me concerned that the TV won't even output 5.1 audio (via optical) even from things that originate with the TV (such a Netflix app, DivX USB movies, etc...). I may just have to get a new receiver and use HDMI for everything. If I get a new receiver, will using HDMI ARC solve my problems and provide 5.1 audio FROM my TV to my receiver? I read that ARC (at least, with LG TVs) does not support DTS. What the heck? Why must everything be complicated?

So, since I seem to be a bit confused here... Assuming I can buy all of the peripherals I need, that is the simplest way to get All Dolby/DTS surround sound from my cable box, PS4, AND HDTV (movies via the USB, Netflix, etc...? I know that my PS4 and cable box should just go in to the receiver, but I'm curious about getting surround sound from the audio my TV produces - and since ARC doesn't support DTS, therein lies my concern, unless I'm overlooking something.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The optical out should output DD 5.1 for the Netflix. ARC is just an added convenience if you get a new receiver.
As far as I know, I don't think any tv has the ability to output DTS. Only DD5.1 and DDPlus.
The best way to hook up your devices when you get a new receiver is run everything to the receiver first, then out to tv. To get surround for Netflix, you can use the ARC feature or just simply use the optical output of the tv.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks again! I'll update you guys when I get the TV in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page