HDTV antenna attic installation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased an RCA - ANT751R I want to install it in my attic. I will be cutting my cable tv off and switching to the antenna. I plan to plug the antenna coax into the cable splitter in the attic that already runs to my TV's. My Internet is on a separate coax so there should be no interference. My question is about grounding the antenna. The cable splitter in the attic runs to another splitter outside that has a copper wire screwed to it. That copper wire then goes to a small clamp that is screwed to the main wire attached to my homes ground rod. If my coax from antenna attached to the first splitter in the attic would this be sufficient grounding for the antenna in the attic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
By coincidence, as I am buying a house in a neighborhood with fairly good OTA reception per TV Fool, I was thinking the exact same thing. The house was pre-wired for Comcast, and at our new location we are thinking of using DSL for Internet in part so that the existing cable wiring can be used to distribute OTA to televisions throughout the house.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think the comcast cable ground on the outside splitter would suffice as the attic antenna ground?
post #4 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Sure, but there's no advantage nor any requirement to ground an attic antenna.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

By coincidence, as I am buying a house in a neighborhood with fairly good OTA reception per TV Fool, I was thinking the exact same thing. The house was pre-wired for Comcast, and at our new location we are thinking of using DSL for Internet in part so that the existing cable wiring can be used to distribute OTA to televisions throughout the house.

For us, our house was pre-wired as well for cable (RG-59). I put the antenna on the roof to eliminate any interference and to give us the best possible reception. Ran RG-6 cable to the garage and thru a 3-way splitter. From there, it went to the pre-wired cabling in the house. Works beautifully.

We have DSL as well, but what I did was tap into the MPOE and run a dedicated line to the computer room for interference-free connectivity and simplicity.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

In my attic where the antenna will go there is a lot of air movement b/c of the eaves. I am mainly worried about static electric charge build up on the antenna. I do not want to burn my house down or fry my tv.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakattk View Post

In my attic where the antenna will go there is a lot of air movement b/c of the eaves. I am mainly worried about static electric charge build up on the antenna. I do not want to burn my house down or fry my tv.

Then run a separate ground from the antenna to a metal pole 18" in the ground. Or place the antenna on the roof (which is best because it will probably give you better reception) and run the ground if you are in an area with a lot of lightening strikes, etc.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I would think that an attic mounted antenna is a very low FIRE hazard, since any arc-over is probably going to be contained within either an Indoor Balun...or if using an Outdoor Balun (with DC continuity between 300-ohm and 75-ohm windings) then it will arc over either within the Preamp (if used) or the coax itself. But I wouldn't rule out an arc over between the antenna and a nearby wood strut...or worse case, flammable blown-in insulation material (which unfortunately is probably not illegal).

All you need is a Gas Tube Discharge Coaxial Protection Device (which is usually screwed into a Coaxial Grounding Block for attachment of the Grounding Wire). It will discharge when the static electricity reaches the relatively low spec voltage, which is MUCH lower than the (unknown) breakdown voltage in the usual air gap Grounding Block. Run the Ground wire to a convenient power box or copper water pipe. Since it's INDOORS, the full NEC compliant install to protect against direct lightning hits isn't required.....cuz the house is going to take the full brunt of the blow anyway:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/381623/the-official-avs-antenna-and-related-hardware-topic/7830#post_13580345

The discharge device needs to have DC continuity to the antenna elements, which means you need to use a Balun which has DC continuity between the 300-ohm input and 75-ohm output. Most INDOOR Baluns do NOT have this capability, so use OUTDOOR Baluns from C-M, Philips or RCA (there may be others) and MEASURE IT just to make sure.... For the same reason, the device needs to be placed between the Balun and a Preamp (if used). If NOT using a Preamp, it could be placed anywhere along the Coax, as long as DC continuity isn't blocked by a Cable-type RF Spllitter (SAT-type RF Splitters have DC PASS on one or both ports).
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Can you recommend a specific Gas Tube Discharge device that can be placed between the antenna balun and a preamp? For an attic antenna. Or provide a link? Will this help prevent the preamp from power surges or lightning strikes?
post #10 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Gas-x or Beano works for me. biggrin.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ you funny guy Dr. Jones biggrin.gif
post #12 of 13 Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have no clue how to ground something. I have an electrical outlet in my garage floor that the door opener plugs into. It backs up to the attic floor. I currently have a light wired to the outlet as well for an attic light. Could I just run a copper wire from the antenna to the ground wire in the outlet box? Safe? Wrong?
post #13 of 13 Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Safe? Wrong?

Pointless, since, as I said before, there's no advantage nor any requirement to ground an attic antenna.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page