Splitting line from a Terk HDTVa OTA indoor antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to split the line coming out of a Terk HDTVa OTA antenna. Sounds simple.... Without splitting I'm getting 95-100% on all channels that I care about (as reported by my Tivax digital TV converter box).

First I tried to use a basic 3-way splitter/combiner - as soon as I added the second output line the signal dropped to near zero. I did notice there is a ground screw on the splitter but I did not use it.

Second I tried to use a nexxtech TV/FM 4-way distribution amplifier I got from The Source (Radio shack) for $40. When I added the second line, most stations dropped from 100% to around 40%. The specs on the amplifier say 10 dB gain, output capability 23 dBmv, 50-900 MHz bandwidth.

I'd be happy with a 75% signal strength on each line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Mr-X

BTW - the Terk Antenna has a "power injector" on the line out - not sure if this is just a fancy name for an amplifier...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister-X View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to split the line coming out of a Terk HDTVa OTA antenna. Sounds simple.... Without splitting I'm getting 95-100% on all channels that I care about (as reported by my Tivax digital TV converter box).

First I tried to use a basic 3-way splitter/combiner - as soon as I added the second output line the signal dropped to near zero. I did notice there is a ground screw on the splitter but I did not use it.

Second I tried to use a nexxtech TV/FM 4-way distribution amplifier I got from The Source (Radio shack) for $40. When I added the second line, most stations dropped from 100% to around 40%. The specs on the amplifier say 10 dB gain, output capability 23 dBmv, 50-900 MHz bandwidth.

I'd be happy with a 75% signal strength on each line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Mr-X

BTW - the Terk Antenna has a "power injector" on the line out - not sure if this is just a fancy name for an amplifier...

If you're trying the split the signal from the HDTVa antenna, try a plain splitter, not a combiner. The combiner should be used to take signal from multiple antennas to deliver a better signal, in theory. Have you tried using the in-line amp with the Terk antenna, then try to split the signal?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

If you're trying the split the signal from the HDTVa antenna, try a plain splitter, not a combiner. The combiner should be used to take signal from multiple antennas to deliver a better signal, in theory. Have you tried using the in-line amp with the Terk antenna, then try to split the signal?

The hybrid splitter/combiner is supposed to function as either a splitter or combiner I think... I am going to return it and also return the distribution amplifier.

My setup is Antenna -> in-line amp that is part of the Terk -> splitter -> television and 2nd line that will eventually be attached to a TV tuner card. Does it matter that the 2nd co-ax cable is not connected at the other end? I can't see why it would. Regardless, I will try a splitter that does not have the combiner capability. Not sure why the distribution amp and splitter would have 100% signal going in and only 40% coming out each line - not much of an amplification.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The key here is proper placement of the inline amp or power supply. I believe it should come before the splitter, and in this case, the splitter should allow power pass on all ports. Because there is no other amp on a distant antenna like with a preamp. But since you are splitting the signal several ways, you may have been better off with the HDTVi version and a separate distribution amp. Also be sure the inline amp is plugged in AND the power switch is turned on.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is the amp plugged in?

Also can you post your tvfool results so we can get an idea of reception in your area? ( Your address will not be shown). Perhaps you are close enough that you do not need an amplified antenna.

You should not lose all channels with a 3 way splitter if you were getting channels at 100% prior.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The key here is proper placement of the inline amp or power supply. I believe it should come before the splitter, and in this case, the splitter should allow power pass on all ports. Because there is no other amp on a distant antenna like with a preamp. But since you are splitting the signal several ways, you may have been better off with the HDTVi version and a separate distribution amp. Also be sure the inline amp is plugged in AND the power switch is turned on.
It should pass power on only 1 port, not all (passes power between the IN and one of the OUT ports). There's no reason to send power to the other TV sets.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

It should pass power on only 1 port, not all (passes power between the IN and one of the OUT ports). There's no reason to send power to the other TV sets.
That is how I have my 3 way splitter and preamp set up in the attic. I use a Holland 3 way splitter with one port power pass. And I use DC voltage blocks on the 2 passive ports.