Need help picking antenna (Update: Problems with Dish OTA Module) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am new to the forum but have been on here looking around trying to research the best antenna for my situation.

I have some spread out signals and have tried a small indoor omnidirectional antenna but one channel in particular I need did not come in at all.

Here is my TVfool chart:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae8d3187f499

In particular I really need channel 11 (ABC) which of course was not picked up at all by the indoor amplified antenna. It did however pick up most of the other nearby channels including PBS (but signal loss is frequent).

I have been looking at the Winegard MS-2002 and RCA ANT800 as possibilities but am unsure about them with VHF channel I am trying to get along with the others.

Would this be a situation where separate VHF and UHF antennas are in order?

I look forward to advice and direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I would take your TVFool report and post it to the Local HDTV AVS forum that is closest to your location. The folks there should be able to advise you on what they use, installation, etc.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Before giving up on your current antenna, be aware that digital tuners have a lot of difficult dealing with electrical noise and VHF signals. VHF is what you are looking for. So, turn off everything using electricity anywhere near the antenna and try for ABC. If the antenna is close to the television, a longer cable may be needed as the television may be creating electrical noise as well. Every indoor antenna I've tried has been able to receive rf 9 & 10 with signals around 3X weaker than what you have there. Good Luck.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
VHF channels will always be difficult to pick up with an indoor antenna,especially if its omnidirectional.

If possible, try to mount your antenna high in the room, or better yet, as a test, put it facing out a window to the SE where your towers are, preferably on a second floor.

If the results are good, then maybe putting the antenna in the attic is an option, otherwise, you might want to try a conventional VHF/UHF indoor antenna like the Radio Shack budget antenna.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103077

At 16 miles away, you should not need an amplified antenna. Just make sure you mount the antenna as high as possible, facing SE.
If the antenna does not give good results, you can always return it, and get a more conventional small outdoor antenna like the RCA ANT751.

I am not a big fan of the antennas you suggested getting as replacements.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You likely have no need of anything other than an directional or moderately directional 7-51 antenna. All of your main stations come from the southeast.

Avoid the impulse to use anything with an amplifier.

mikepier's suggestions are good ones. I'd add the ClearStream 2V as another option. Your VHF 11 station will best be received with an antenna that has elements that are between 28-36" in width which would indicate that the really small antennas would not be expected to perform well.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm out of town for a couple of days so I'll have to wait to try things but will post some results when I try another antenna.

One question with the directional antennas say Clearstream 2V or RadioShack Budget antenna what are the chances I'll also pick up channel 23 (PBS)
post #7 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXSTi0487 View Post

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm out of town for a couple of days so I'll have to wait to try things but will post some results when I try another antenna.

One question with the directional antennas say Clearstream 2V or RadioShack Budget antenna what are the chances I'll also pick up channel 23 (PBS)

If you were getting it before with the omnidirectional antenna, chances are you should still get it. Just keep in mind it is to the NE, about 90 degrees apart from the other stations. Also as I said before, height of the antenna is important. Try to locate the antenna as high as possible.

In your tvfool report you can re-calculate the results if you know the height of where you put your antenna. If you want you can re-post your results with an antenna height of lets say 25 feet just to see how much difference it makes.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Alright here is the TVFool report again at 25ft
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae4cc283a1ba

Which that height would not be unreasonable as my plan was once I had a good antenna selection mount it at the peak of my roof at one of the gable ends then drop the wiring into a recently setup distribution box for the house.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The results look more favorable at 25 ft .
post #10 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It comes from a completely different direction and it's obstructed.

Tossup.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

It comes from a completely different direction and it's obstructed.

Tossup.
True, but he might be able to split the difference between the 2, point east or even more northeast, and should still get PBS plus the big 4 since the signals are strong.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I will have to do a little trial and error with it at least if I buy the Clearstream 2V locally and it just doesn't work out I can return it. If it just wouldn't pick up PBS at all couldn't I always add another small directional antenna and use a signal combiner. Or would that affect my other signals negatively?

Maybe like this as a 2nd antenna if I just couldn't pick PBS up at all:
Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF Directv Approved 2-Bay UHF Outdoor Antenna
http://amzn.com/B000GIT002
post #13 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 94
That Eagle Aspen DB2 is a good antenna, but they used to have it priced often around $12.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I would at least try to test first how 1 antenna works. The 2v seems a limitless pricey. You could try the Antennacraft HBU-22 from RadioShack, or even the RCA ANT751 sold at some Walmarts. Both can be returned if they don't work good.
Using 2 antennas with a combiner will drop signal a bit. Probably not a big deal for the SE stations, but might affect PBS.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I would prefer to pay a little more and be able to return the antenna if I need to. I went to the local Walmart where I am right now (on vacation down where my parents live) an they have both the ANT751 and the 2V in stock surprisingly. I know my local Walmart back home has the 2V not sure about others but there are 4 Walmarts within 15 min of each other to choose from to check lol
post #16 of 18 Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Alright well I picked up the Clearstream 2V, got it mounted up on my roof, cables run and all that good stuff, Dish sent me the OTA module for my VIP722K for free since they had cut off our local programming.

Now on to results... I believe something is wrong with either my DVR or the OTA module they sent me... If I hook my antenna directly into the TV I pick up 13 channels currently aimed at about 130 degrees. In particular I get WTVM (the station they dropped) at a signal strength of 92, I receive Channel 28 (PBS) but it has pixels often signal strength in the low 60's. Overall not bad when hooked to the TV.

The problem comes when I hook it into the OTA Dish Module I only receive 7 channels, and all of them seem to have some sort of signal issues. WTVM will work 10 sec then drop signal completely. Signal strength is much lower overall WTVM is around 72 but bounces all over the place (never above 79). Channel 28 is non-existent. All stations signals are cut by about 20% with often complete signal loss it seems.

Is anyone familiar with any problems with the MT2 module and the VIP722K? Everything I read online people are very happy with the setup and I could not find any issues.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Liked: 13
Hate to bump an old thread but I am having the exact same issue.
Hooked to the Dish OTA module, I get 7 channels.
Straight to the TV, I get 29.
Any ideas?

EDIT

Just got off Chat with Dish. This is typical with the OTA module and they don't care.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 282
If you still have issues, start a new thread. Remember to put your location in the title and TVFool.com LINK in the first post.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page