Help with Amplifier - Want To Use Existing Amplifier and Wiring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My house has an Extreme Broadband Engineering amplifier on the exterior. I believe it was installed by Charter Communications. I only use Charter internet service, and want to run a coax from an antenna to the amplifier since it is already wired to all the rooms in the house for each television. Pictures of the amplifier below.

I tried disconnecting the "input" cable but that disconnected the cable modem. So I hooked that one back up and tried the connection just behind it and that too disconnected the cable modem.

The amplifier is being powered at the cable modem connection.

What are my best options? Any way I can change how the cable modem is powering the amplifier to free up an input for the antenna? Can I run a splitter from the Charter internet and my antenna to the input on the amplifier?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
You should be able to connect the antenna cable to one of the input sources. If this disrupts the internet, then use a 2-way splitter in reverse to combine the cable and antenna input. But be sure your cable TV signal is disconnected, because you cannot combine cable TV and antenna TV signals. But you can combine cable internet and antenna signals, so that should work.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

You should be able to connect the antenna cable to one of the input sources. If this disrupts the internet, then use a 2-way splitter in reverse to combine the cable and antenna input. But be sure your cable TV signal is disconnected, because you cannot combine cable TV and antenna TV signals. But you can combine cable internet and antenna signals, so that should work.

Thanks! I figured that would work.

Just noticed we're local to the same area.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
But you can combine cable internet and antenna signals, so that should work.

No, you should not..

1) The antenna will become a radiator.

2) If downstream frequencies happen to coincide with local stations, there will be substantial interference.

Unless you know exactly what frequencies are being used by the cableco and properly diplex them, haphazardly combining antenna signals with anything from the cableco is an invitation for trouble.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

No, you cannot.

1) The antenna will become a radiator.

Unless you know exactly what frequencies are being used by the cableco and properly diplex them, haphazardly combine antenna signals with anything from the cableco is an invitation for trouble.

And you will get a visit from the FAA/FCC since some of the cable frequencies will interfere with aviation frequencies.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Although you may be only USING the Internet Cable Modem Frequency, ALL (YES, EVERY STINKING CHANNEL) is occupied by a VERY STRONG Cable Frequency..and their Intermod Products, which will wipe out any OTA signals trying to share the coax. And BTW, even if you use an RF Combiner with lots of Reverse isolation, it won't be enough to prevent the Strong Cable signals from being RE-RADIATED out your Antenna....which includes Strong out-of-band Harmonic and Intermodulation signals....which can interfere with airplane communications flying overhead....which is why it's ILLEGAL.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Alright I don't need all the reasons why I can't split the signals, a simple no would have sufficed.

Why not suggest how I should do it???
post #8 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Ok, apparently I was wrong about combining cable internet and antenna signals. I knew you could not combine cable TV and antenna signals, but thought it was ok for the internet. But the informative engineers here have given the corrected information. Sounds like you will have to run a separate cable for your antenna. I have an attic antenna and preamp, and receive all local GSP channels, as well as several Charlotte channels. I ran a separate cable from the antenna to a 4-way splitter, which splits to 4 different rooms. The Charter cable is still connected separately to the junction box where they installed an amp similar to yours. I have my cable and antenna connections completely separate.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

STIG,

One of those outputs will be the one that goes to the cable modem. Since you identified that the distribution amp is powered from the same physical location as the cable modem, it shouldn't be to hard to identify the coax at the amp that is being used for the internet service to the modem. That's going to be either the VOIP/MODEM (most likely) or the #1 port.

Several things:

1) I don't have the installation manual for your amp, so I'm extrapolating some.

2) If the power supply is on the VOIP/DATA port, it will need to be moved to the circuit that connects to port #1. You will have to find it.

3) Disconnect the incoming cableco line from the amp's input and, using an F81 coupler, connect it to the line removed from the VOIP/DATA port. Make certain #2 is done first.

4) The antenna signal may then be fed into the input port of the amp and you'll be right in the ballpark.

Can you get the exact model number of the amp? I can't make it out in your first photo.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Model IPA1008D-RSVF
Extreme Broadband Engineering Premise amplifier

Appreciate your help!
post #11 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Model IPA1008D-RSVF
Extreme Broadband Engineering Premise amplifier

Appreciate your help!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

STIG,

One of those outputs will be the one that goes to the cable modem. Since you identified that the distribution amp is powered from the same physical location as the cable modem, it shouldn't be to hard to identify the coax at the amp that is being used for the internet service to the modem. That's going to be either the VOIP/MODEM (most likely) or the #1 port.

Several things:

1) I don't have the installation manual for your amp, so I'm extrapolating some.

2) If the power supply is on the VOIP/DATA port, it will need to be moved to the circuit that connects to port #1. You will have to find it.

3) Disconnect the incoming cableco line from the amp's input and, using an F81 coupler, connect it to the line removed from the VOIP/DATA port. Make certain #2 is done first.

4) The antenna signal may then be fed into the input port of the amp and you'll be right in the ballpark.

Can you get the exact model number of the amp? I can't make it out in your first photo.

I think I see what you're saying... basically the internet will bypass the amplifier (will this decrease my internet speed?) and I will use the amplifier ONLY for the antenna.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You got it!

It's not likely that your speed will be affected. If it is, there are separate amps that might improve your service.
S T I G likes this.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page