Lakewood, CO: antenna advice (2 antennas) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finally cutting the cord and cancelling my DISH service but I need some advice. When we first moved in I tried to use a simple indoor antenna and the results were not very good. But a few months ago I got up into our attic and found 2 separate antennas (both with twin lead cable) pointed in different directions. I'd like to connect to these antennas to see what kind of reception I can get but I'm not sure where to go from here.

My questions are:

Can I connect to both antennas or will there be interference problems?

Do I need any special equipment to connect to both antennas or can I connect the twin lead cables to the same balun?

Since the twin lead cables have been protected from the weather, do I need to connect the balun to the twin lead cable in the attic or can I make the connection in the basement where the twin lead cable is already exposed?

Do I need to make a direct run to each television or can I simply connect the twin lead cable into the exiting coaxial cable?

Below is a link to my signal analysis results from TVFool.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae18a2b72a19

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
From your tvfool report, it looks as if you must be around some hills and mountains, but you are fairly close to Denver.

I am assuming 1 antenna in the attic is facing Denver. The other facing the opposite direction might have been for the Peublo stations? But those look too far away to receive, so for now, I would work on the one antenna facing Denver and go from there.

The type of antenna you need to receive Denver is a VHF/UHF combo and should look similiar to this:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/VU120.gif

In the picture above, the right side of the antenna would be the front, and would face towards Denver to the NW.

As far as the existing twin lead cable, even though RG6 is preferred, the twin lead might still be good. You can test to see if you get anything.
You would need a 300 ohm/75 ohm transformer like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062054&filterName=Type&filterValue=Transformers

Follow the twin lead to wherever it ends in the basement (make sure its for the correct antenna facing NW, and not the other one) connect the transformer, and connect to 1 tv for now. Do a scan and see what you get.

If the results are not good, you may need to run RG6 from the antenna to the tv using one of these connected to the antenna.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103912
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. I purchased the transformer as you recommended and it worked. Unfortunately, I was only able to pick up PBS and a spanish language station. We are in an area that is shielded from the major TV station antennas by a big hill so I don't think it will work for me.

Anyway thanks for the help!
post #4 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
One thing you should check is the twin lead attachments at the antenna. Over time the wing nuts can loosen making a poor connection.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
You might want to consider putting the antenna outside, plus use rg6 cable.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by COAngelFan View Post

Thanks for the advice. I purchased the transformer as you recommended and it worked. Unfortunately, I was only able to pick up PBS and a spanish language station. We are in an area that is shielded from the major TV station antennas by a big hill so I don't think it will work for me.

Anyway thanks for the help!

I own a business that helps people get TV for free, in part by hooking up OTA antennas. Ironically I actually just moved to Lakewood, CO, and am on the South side of Green Mountain so have some interference but am able to get all of my local stations. I can give you some advice but need to know more about your specific location. Please PM me or hit my website (freeTVEE) with your details.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page