Best HDTV Cable Box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what the best CableCARD compatible set top boxes out there are? I see very compelling products such as the HDHomerun Prime, but that isn't necessarily a set top box as much as it is a Cable to IPTV converter. What I would like is a CableCARD compatible set top box with HDMI out (for use with Verizon FiOS).

The reason the box actually needs to function this way is for the rest of my family. They would not be able to deal with learning how to route the cable signal through my HTPC or Xbox.

As an example, I spent extra money to get a universal remotes a few months back as our home theatre now requires 3 remotes to function and control. They actively refused to use it and instead carried all 3 remotes around all the time. It wasn't until I took the batteries out of the other three remotes and physically hid them that they used the universal remote (even now, they usually walk over and operate the devices by pressing the buttons on them instead of the remote). They do not like change.

They could not handle the idea of cable not coming from a dedicated box. But I also can't handle the idea of renting an HD set top box for $20 a month when I'm already paying for HD channels. Thus the dilemma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Samsung's toying with a device similar to what you're looking for. As for now, TiVo is your only option: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435068/cablecard-dvr-options
PityOnU likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

That's what I figured, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

It really sucks how much they have this stuff locked down. Those TiVo's are exorbitantly expensive when you factor in cost of the device, plus cost of service, plus maybe you want to watch TV on your laptop as well so you need to buy the desktop software.

It seems like an industry that would greatly benefit from competition.

RIP Moxi
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
$20 a month is $240 a year, 2 year payoff on a dedicated HTPC. Run windows 7 and media center on it and it looks just like a cable box...Just sayin'...smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

$20 a month is $240 a year, 2 year payoff on a dedicated HTPC. Run windows 7 and media center on it and it looks just like a cable box...Just sayin'...smile.gif

I know... I want that (as I already have an HTPC) because the Homerum Prime seems like it offers way more features that I would want, i.e. stream on multiple devices throughout the house. But my family would never be able to make that mental leap.

It took ~2 months to convince them that the A/V receiver switch audio and video, and that changing inputs on the TV did nothing.

A reality show with my family would be called "Living with Xenophobes"
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I know what you mean about change. I taught my wife to change channels with a mouse. I later added a WMC remote with its dedicated buttons, but she still loves her mouse. The WMC remote has pretty much the same buttons and functions as my cable box remote.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what the best CableCARD compatible set top boxes out there are? I see very compelling products such as the HDHomerun Prime, but that isn't necessarily a set top box as much as it is a Cable to IPTV converter. What I would like is a CableCARD compatible set top box with HDMI out (for use with Verizon FiOS).

The reason the box actually needs to function this way is for the rest of my family. They would not be able to deal with learning how to route the cable signal through my HTPC or Xbox.

As an example, I spent extra money to get a universal remotes a few months back as our home theatre now requires 3 remotes to function and control. They actively refused to use it and instead carried all 3 remotes around all the time. It wasn't until I took the batteries out of the other three remotes and physically hid them that they used the universal remote (even now, they usually walk over and operate the devices by pressing the buttons on them instead of the remote). They do not like change.

They could not handle the idea of cable not coming from a dedicated box. But I also can't handle the idea of renting an HD set top box for $20 a month when I'm already paying for HD channels. Thus the dilemma.

Verizon FiOS has its own tuners/DVR's and I don't think that will work out with a non proprietary set top box, why not use what they have, and is it 20 for each turner/DVR, or 20 is for the first turner or DVR and there is a much small monthly fee for each turner or DVR. Or switch over to DirecTV with the monthly mirroring fee is 6 bucks a month.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page