post #61 of 83 Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM
T/O

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Since you will have to rely on either reflections off other buildings or whatever signals might penetrate your concrete and steel box, odds are poor that anything will work reliably. Often, if you're on the wrong side of the building in such a situation, you're often facing very long odds.

Guess that's my luck in a nutshell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by T/O View Post

Hi all;

Guess I'll join the party and ask for help. I'm on the top floor of a building with concrete floors and ceiling. My tv is on the north end of the room and my only window faces east.

here is my TVfool report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b947ac2e15a6f

Looking for indoor only as outdoor is prohibited in my co-op

Thank you

An unamplified rabbit ear/loop is the best starting point for indoor reception. If you can, try it without the rabbit ears first. See how the antenna does with the UHF channels. Then, add the rabbit ears for the VHF channels. Buy from a vendor that allows returns. The best antenna is one that works for you, no matter what style. Good Luck.
post #63 of 83 Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi all - I know it's been a while since anyone commented on this thread - but - here's mine... suggestions?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6462c5d0bee

Thanks in advance - WLUK (FOX) is what really matters (VHF) - as it covers most of the local Packer game coverage

post #64 of 83 Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Deltaguy's answer in the previous post covers your situation too. Especially the part about using rabbit ears for VHF.
John
post #65 of 83 Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raff30 View Post

Hi all - I know it's been a while since anyone commented on this thread - but - here's mine... suggestions?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6462c5d0bee

Thanks in advance - WLUK (FOX) is what really matters (VHF) - as it covers most of the local Packer game coverage

If WLUK is the only channel having problems, electrical interference is a likely cause. Beware of your tv, lights, laptop, or many other devices. Turn them off to ensure they are not stopping VHF reception. Buy from a vendor that allows returns. Antenna location/height/aim are the key. Let us know what you try and results. Good Luck.
post #66 of 83 Old 05-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So I'm looking to get rid of cable altogether and just want the local stuff, I've got no clue what kind of antenna to get. I know I want indoor, was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00DIFIM36/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399899463&sr=1-2&keywords=tv+hd+antenna

Here's my tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6aeea838067

Thanks!

post #67 of 83 Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 AM

Liked: 12

Ended up getting what was recommended earlier in the thread - one for each TV (could have split it, but for $30, just bought 2).  Works excellent!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Amplified-Antenna/20976616#ProductDetail

post #68 of 83 Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raff30 View Post

Ended up getting what was recommended earlier in the thread - one for each TV (could have split it, but for $30, just bought 2).  Works excellent!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Amplified-Antenna/20976616#ProductDetail
Apparently the GE 34763 Antenna is a good performing indoor antenna, and one of the better flat panel type choices. But interesting that it has a more elongated design rather than square. Perhaps it contains rabbit ears inside, as well as some UHF loops. But one of the tech engineers has recommended it as performing well in field testing. And $29 at Walmart is certainly more reasonable than a $79 Mohu or various Flatwave versions.
post #69 of 83 Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had a TERK AM/FM amplified tower antenna that wouldn't pick-up FM stations. I took it apart and found a small circuit board and an attached wire about 12 inches long running up the tower. The wire was the FM antenna. Given the dimensions of the GE antenna, I bet the actual antenna is a single long wire attached to an amplifier. Since the original poster is close to the transmitter antennas and has line-of-sight, any indoor antenna would have worked.
post #70 of 83 Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Would like everyone's opinion on an indoor antenna for me.  I live on the 12th floor, windows face north.  I use a 99 cent rabbit ears and loop (no amplification), and get most things, but I am looking to get WLIW 21.1 and WLNY 55.1 OTA if at all possible.  And my WNJN 50.1 reception is very poor.

TV fool report, which I do not really understand, is below:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c62a351ac88e

Thanks for any help.

post #71 of 83 Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 245

Stations in the green section are the easiest to receive.

When you get the the yellow section (where you'll find 21.1), reception is harder, meaning you would need a larger/better/higher/directional antenna.

In the red section (where, unfortunately, 55.1 is), reception will be substantially more difficult.

The same report on antennaweb.com lists NEITHER station :(

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=&City=New+York&State=NY&ZIP=10028&Housing=M&Accuracy=4&Height=9&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=40.7766412&Lon=-73.9521468

So it looks like your 99 cent wonder is doing as well as anything else.

You might be able to get more help here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/275729/new-york-ny-ota

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #72 of 83 Old 06-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Stations in the green section are the easiest to receive.

When you get the the yellow section (where you'll find 21.1), reception is harder, meaning you would need a larger/better/higher/directional antenna.

In the red section (where, unfortunately, 55.1 is), reception will be substantially more difficult.

The same report on antennaweb.com lists NEITHER station :(

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=&City=New+York&State=NY&ZIP=10028&Housing=M&Accuracy=4&Height=9&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=40.7766412&Lon=-73.9521468

So it looks like your 99 cent wonder is doing as well as anything else.

You might be able to get more help here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/275729/new-york-ny-ota

Thanks for the info.  But does that mean that an simple (or fancy) "amplified" indoor antenna will not help me get any of those three stations (21.1, 55.1, or 50.1)? 

post #73 of 83 Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 245

That's right. You're just amplifying a lousy signal. You need a good directional antenna to get those, which you're probably not going to want indoors. ;)

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #74 of 83 Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I hope this is the right thread all the talk about different indoor antennas.

What about a big building like a factory? that's currently has windows facing the opposite side of the transmitters (tough luck IMO), any indoor antenna that could help?

My TV Fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c60aaaad63a5

The building is about 24ft high, with metal roof and concrete walls, and installing an outdoor antenna is no option.

The report says green all over but believe me, no TV here can get anything with the rabbit ears I tried (the only one I had to test)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #75 of 83 Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
DrLar:
Quote:
no TV here can get anything with the rabbit ears I tried (the only one I had to test)
Your building sounds like a shielded enclosure that blocks signals.

It looks like your location is SE of El Paso, near the intersection of US10 and route 375, maybe between Gateway Blvd and Rojas Dr.

If there are no windows on the west wall to put an inside antenna, you have a difficult problem.

Any windows on the north wall that can see the transmitters?

Unless you can mount a single UHF bowtie antenna without reflector outside the west wall and run the coax through a hole in the wall, you are probably out of luck. A UHF bowtie antenna would be less than 20 inches long; a UHF folded dipole would be less than 10 inches long.

There is a remote possibility that you can mount a 4-bay UHF bowtie antenna inside a window on the east wall and aim it at a building that will reflect signals coming from the west.

If your windows have low-e glass, it might block the signals, as would metal screening.

An extreme solution would be to mount an antenna on your parked car with a tuner and a GHz RF link to relay the signals to an RF link antenna in an east window.

I would need to see an aerial view of the building to give a more specific answer. If you care to give me the exact address of the building by PM, I can study it. I would need your permission to post a photo of a solution, if one exists.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

post #76 of 83 Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I hope this is the right thread all the talk about different indoor antennas.

What about a big building like a factory? that's currently has windows facing the opposite side of the transmitters (tough luck IMO), any indoor antenna that could help?

My TV Fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c60aaaad63a5

The building is about 24ft high, with metal roof and concrete walls, and installing an outdoor antenna is no option.

The report says green all over but believe me, no TV here can get anything with the rabbit ears I tried (the only one I had to test)

Have the rabbit ears been tried near a window? I ask because most indoor antennas have short cables. Your PBS station broadcasts on VHF which rabbit ears often receive. The location, height, and aim indoors can be absolutely critical for reception. I have signal blocking insulation in the walls and attic here, but have managed VHF reception in rooms with windows facing the wrong way. The signals here are not as strong as PBS on your TVFool report.
post #77 of 83 Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Thanks for the replies.

We have a couple of windows facing NE, I went there with a small TV and rabbit ears, it worked well...

Our problem is they want to air the World Cup in the middle of the shop floor, which is far from the windows.

We are thinking of buying an aerial antenna, put it someplace on the west side, run coax through the building where the big screen is going to be. What's the max distance you could run coax with not much loss? say it maybe be 100ft from the west wall to the TV's location.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #78 of 83 Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
With an outdoor antenna, you should have plenty of signal for up to several hundred feet of coaxial cable without any amps.
post #79 of 83 Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

If PBS isn't important, an outdoor UHF antenna near the window you tested would likely out perform the rabbit ears you've tested already. 2, 4, and 8 bays are available.
post #80 of 83 Old 06-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
That's right. You're just amplifying a lousy signal. You need a good directional antenna to get those, which you're probably not going to want indoors.
How about something unobtrusive on my north-facing terrace? Would that pull in WLNY 55.1 and or WLIW 21.1?
post #81 of 83 Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 AM

how about this one?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6afb6c39d3e

I'm in Toronto, on the 24th floor, facing south/west...

what would work for me?
post #82 of 83 Old 07-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Liked: 11
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6f728bb515b

Here are my results. Looking for a simple antenna to get local channels( ABC, CBS, NBC, etc). Suggestions? TV is on the second story of a 2 story house. Very hilly in the area.
post #83 of 83 Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lashinski View Post
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6f728bb515b

Here are my results. Looking for a simple antenna to get local channels( ABC, CBS, NBC, etc). Suggestions? TV is on the second story of a 2 story house. Very hilly in the area.
Other than those two translators in your back yard, the odds of reliable reception with an indoor antenna are probably negligible.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Rca Ant1650r Flat Digital Amplified Indoor Tv Antenna
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page