Best indoor HD antenna to get local stations? - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I moved the location of the RLH2 and RL-M2 Analysis to:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loops [Towards the Bottom]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I tried the flat one with no success. No matter where how high I placed it, I couldn't get a consistent signal on two of the channels. So I went to WalMart and got the rabbit ear loop style from RCA. It works great except when I put it where I want it, which is behind the TV. There's just too much interfering for it to work there. Where my TV is in the den I don't have access to placing anything in a window. My only other option is putting it on a closet shelf but that would require running cable along the baseboard which might be my only option. Unless there is maybe a small something that can sit on the glass shelf of my entertainment center that doesn't have the extendable ears. I really though being so close to the towers, I would be able to put it wherever I wanted without problem.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
It works great except when I put it where I want it, which is behind the TV.
The first rule of antennas is that they need to be where the signal is at, a location you have to find. They don't give a rat's behind where you might want them to be. Get an extenson cable and adapter if needed.

Quote:
I really though being so close to the towers, I would be able to put it wherever I wanted without problem.
That's usually another unrealistic expectation. What do you do if you're on your cell phone and you encounter a "dead" spot? You move, that's what. A TV antenna follows those same rules. The signals are blocked and reflected by the objects around it, so it often takes patience to find a "good" spot.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
The first rule of antennas is that they need to be where the signal is at, a location you have to find. They don't give a rat's behind where you might want them to be. Get an extenson cable and adapter if needed.

That's usually another unrealistic expectation. What do you do if you're on your cell phone and you encounter a "dead" spot? You move, that's what. A TV antenna follows those same rules. The signals are blocked and reflected by the objects around it, so it often takes patience to find a "good" spot.
The problem with running an extension is my TV is isolated in the room. There's no clean way to extend the cable without running it along the wall. My only other option is running it over two doorways to get to a window. It kind of stinks having an old house with pretty much one option to set up your living space.

It's also funny I can bring the $10 Walmart rabbit ear into my computer room and hook it up to my PC tuner and get full perfect signal on every channel. It's farther from any windows than the den but it's about 4ft higher and not on a metal and glass stand.

Last edited by Skeletor; 02-15-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Perhaps you could mount a (non-metallic) hanging basket of (fake, non-metallic) Flowers or a Fern from the ceiling and use that to hide the Rabbit-Ears/Loop....and BTW, you only need to extend each Ear by about 14.5-inches for Hi-VHF Band.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 PM

None of the simple indoor options I tried worked. I've bought and returned about 5 antennae from WalMart. I think my location not near a window and the interfenerce from the TV and metal on the stand are causing my problem. Myy option now is to try to use an old cable line run in the attic from behind my TV to an attic mount anttenna. I was thinking of getting this one since it's at WalMart and it's fairly inexpensive.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Attic-M...tenna/20976617

Again, here are my TVFool results

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f03ed69eda32

I should be good with this one, right?

Also, this may be dumb, but can you split the signal coming to from antenna? I have one TV in the den and one in the bedroom. Or should I just get a small indoor one for the bedroom?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
None of the simple indoor options I tried worked. I've bought and returned about 5 antennae from WalMart. I think my location not near a window and the interfenerce from the TV and metal on the stand are causing my problem. Myy option now is to try to use an old cable line run in the attic from behind my TV to an attic mount anttenna. I was thinking of getting this one since it's at WalMart and it's fairly inexpensive.

Again, here are my TVFool results

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f03ed69eda32

I should be good with this one, right?

Also, this may be dumb, but can you split the signal coming to from antenna? I have one TV in the den and one in the bedroom. Or should I just get a small indoor one for the bedroom?

You have extremely strong signals not very far away. About the only way you wouldn't be receiving them is multipath problems. None of the indoor antennas are significantly different from each other (flat, loops, rabbit ears, etc.) so it's no surprise that nothing you tried worked. You essentially tried the same thing 5 times. The next step is to try an antenna in the attic. The location might be good enough. Yes, you can split the signal to two TVs. You have plenty of signal to do that. No one can tell you for sure what will work without going to your place with test equipment to determine what your problem is. When you have problems like this you can only follow the standard advice: get the antenna as much in the clear as possible, not looking into nearby buildings or large trees.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post

My friend has that GE antenna in an attic & it works very well. I also have one & have experimented a little with placement & my attic was a lot better than the first floor or second floor pointing out a window. It is a UHF & High Band VHF model. Obviously your location & setup are going to be different so YMMV. All I'm saying is that GE attic antenna works & is one that should be considered.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
All I'm saying is that GE attic antenna works & is one that should be considered.
If you can get it assembled, it works moderately well. It has a lot of pieces to assemble and is pretty flimsy, so an indoor or attic location is what it's suitable for.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 AM

After much education, I realized the main problem channel for me is 13 because it's a VHF station. I ended up putting that GE in my attic and I get great signal from all the stations in that NW direction even 13 which is the weakest of the bunch but it still works. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can cancel my cable if this works out.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello.

Tags
Rca Ant1650r Flat Digital Amplified Indoor Tv Antenna