Can't get any programming through DVD Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a DVD recorder to record TV programming with, however I can't get any TV programming to tune to it. I've tried both Antenna and Cable in the settings and 2 different recorders and only get one local channel that barely comes in. I've also used the same coax that goes to my TV for programming and I get channels just fine.

I'm at a loss here.....thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
How do you have it connected, both to cable and the tv? And whats the make and model?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #3 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessb55 View Post

I recently purchased a DVD recorder to record TV programming with, however I can't get any TV programming to tune to it. I've tried both Antenna and Cable in the settings and 2 different recorders and only get one local channel that barely comes in. I've also used the same coax that goes to my TV for programming and I get channels just fine.

My guess is one of two things:

- You're trying to tune in over the air channels and your recorder doesn't have a digital tuner - hence, you get the one lonely low power station that still has an analog license.

or

- You're trying to tune cable TV on it and your system is all digital, so you can't tune anything without a box.

Since you said you used the same coax going to the TV, I would assume it's the first option. That likely can't be fixed unless you pay a whole lot of money for a recorder that has an ATSC tuner (very few do, and none are at the low end of the price range) or you get a converter box for the recorder and tune the channels with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

The more specific information you provide, the better your chances of getting a useful answer to your question.

What is the make/model of the DVD recorder?
What is the make/model of your television?
Who is your cable provider?
What cable box/DVR are you using?
how are each of the various components connected to each other and the television?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I think you're right about the digital tuner issue. I don't think either of these recorders have a digital tuner. My home doesn't have an antenna so I bought a digital tuner however programming kept freezing and would go in and out. I then tried another coax jack in the house and it appears to be the old cable line from the previous owner as I can get all local channels.

So currently I have the coax line split then a second line going into the recorder the other to the TV and then the TV is hooked up to the TV via component.

The recorder is a Phillips dvdr615 and the TV is a Samsung LN46B530P7FXZA

Also you refer to a "box" are you referring to a converter box cause if I'm correct that won't work cause the programming is already digital, correct?

Thanks!!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Also you refer to a "box" are you referring to a converter box cause if I'm correct that won't work cause the programming is already digital, correct?
That's why you need the converter box - to make the digital signal analog for the recorder. It would mean you'd have to use the box to select the channel instead of the recorder since it would take the place of the tuner in the recorder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I hate to be the bearer of even worse news. In addition to the tuner issue, apparently content providers have pretty much rendered DVD recorders useless by invoking copy protection flags. Either that, or my "relative" is clueless on how to set one up to avoid the flagging issue.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The addition of copy protection flags in the video streams from your cable company is very possible. If that's the case, then you will also need to purchase a video filtering device like the GREX to clear the flag.

If the cable is all digital, then you will need a box provided by the cable company that is basically a stand-alone tuner with various outputs. The analog outputs are the ones you will need as inputs to your video recorder. The exact box is important as many of them INSIST on letterboxing any and all analog outputs when HD 16:9 aspect ratio programming is selected. This makes the overall image postage stamped (black bars on all four sides of the image) and very user unfriendly. Some boxes do this, others do not.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I was also wondering on the copy right issue as well. Another option I have is a dvd/vcr and I could use old vhs tapes lol....

Now it was mentioned that I could use the converter box to change the signal from digital to analog, is that true, cause doesn't the box do the opposite, or is there a way to pick?

Other wise I guess I could use the converter box I have with the DVD/VCR but I would need to find a better Antenna cause the one I have isn't cutting it. Therefore does anyone have any recommendations on an antenna for purchase?

Thanks!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
If you live in an urban area with relatively good signal strength, you can build your own antenna that works just as well (or better) as a commercial one for a fraction of the cost. A little copper wire and some plywood go a long way, and you can find tutorials for how to build them on YouTube. If you live far from your local transmitters, then you may be forced to buy a larger outdoor antenna.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page