use of old directv box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just canceled my directv (2 months ago) could i use my directv boxes with a outside antenna ( i will disconnect everything and just hook antenna up to boxes or do i have to buy new converter boxes to use antenna outside...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If it is one of the older DirecTV boxes with a built in ATSC tuner, you can do so. If it is a newer tuner (H20 series or higher or a DVR), you probably cannot use it. If the receiver uses an AM21 tuner for OTA, you definitely can't use it. There are some people who say they have used an HR20 to watch OTC, but you definitely can't record and you will not have any type of program guide.

SMK
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I used a HR10-250, the first HD Tivo DVR that DirecTV had and played around with is a little after direct replaced all 3 Tivos I had with 1 HR 20 and 2 HR21. I found the off air tuners worked and as I remember the buffer still worked so they would still stop the show and switch channels then jump back and forth, there was no guide and the record feature was gone, and as I recall they only worked on the VHF channels.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have tryed box and did not work at all so im going to get new converter boxes my question now would be..C an i disconnected the satilight dish and use the splitter that goes to each tv in the house ?? i know i will have to get a converter box for each tv WILL I HAVE TO CHANGE SPLITTER??? AND WIRE
post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
You never told us what model of receivers you have, so we can't tell you much about the wiring that runs to them.

Anything non-SWM doesn't use splitters and even those are "special." So, what you think is a splitter probably isn't. We'd need the make and model (and anything written on the label) of this suspected "splitter" before we can tell you anything.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page