Genie D* Multiswitch wiring -coax - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regular DVR's use 2 coax ports on the multi switch (inside the junction box I have outside), does a Genie use 2, 4 or 5?

I have an 8 port multiswitch in my junction box outside. 2 coax ports used by my HD-DVR(H24), 3 ports used by 3 H25's and 1 port wired for a room if having a party to move a receiver into that room easily (just saves me time swapping a wire port outside).
So that's 6 ports out of 8 used, I could go down to 5 if really needed.

I ask this because my contract is up and I am going to call to see what I can get with renewing my contract for a year or 2. Wouldn't mind getting a Genie and trying to think ahead and make sure I wont exceed the 8 ports or if I will have to get a C31 to replace a H25 to free up a port..

Also, if a Genie uses 4 or 5 ports, could you wire it with one less and only be able to record 4 shows at once instead of 5? or doesnt work like that?

THANKS!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The dish will have to be swapped out for an SWM version and an SWM will be installed. That only requires a single coax from the SWM to the dish. Each Genie or mini-Genie will require a single coax from the SWM to the service point.

Your existing multi-switch will likely be obsolete.

It will take a 2-year new contract to get the hardware and installation for "free".
mrdeath2000 likes this.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #3 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have a SWM dish and associated hardware (DECA etc).

So a Genie and an HD-DVR will use the existing Coax connection without additional Coax connection needed if SWM'd already?

By multiswitch, I mean one of these (splitter maybe?): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882250055&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Satellite+TV+Accessories-_-N82E16882250055&gclid=CLid2JOHobkCFStxQgodmGQAIA

The SWM enters the input at the top, and then a coax goes to each Receiver (3 HD boxes and 1 DVR). I think 2 go to the DVR, maybe I'm wrong and I just have an extra hooked up (that's in addition to my planned extra connection for the empty game room).
post #4 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I did more research. I think i understand...

SWM gets you 8 tuners max, this isnt 8 coax cables per se.

So the Genie uses 5 of those 8, but with only 1 coax cable. A normal DVR uses 2, but with only 1 coax cable. H25 uses 1 and 1, C31 doesnt use any, but still uses a coax.

I think I get it now.

Just got off the phone with D* and my equipment will change from:

1-h24 dvr
3-h25 (one of them I own outright, not leased)

to:
1 Genie (not sure if h34 or h44 yet)
2 C31
1 H24 (keeping my old dvr, said it wouldnt change my bill to just keep an H25 since the DVR fee is once per account).

I will still have one H25 (the one i own outright) and can use it in a pinch if one f's up, or i can sell it.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So, you already have a SWiMLine dish, and that which was being called a multiswitch (the link you posted) is just an 8-way splitter that goes down to 2MHz and has a bandstop filter on the input.

You are correct about the 8 tuners running off 1 cable bit. If you needed more, you could have a regular SlimLine dish with 4 cables coming from the LNB and going into a SWM-16 or a SWM-32, which could give you up to 16 or 32 tuners.

The Genie has 5 tuners and you are using only 3. Why not get another C31 in place of the HR24? That way, you'd be able to watch anything you recorded wherever you wanted, regardless of where you recorded it. You may already do that with MRV, but you wouldn't have that lagging response that goes along with that service.

The HR34 uses the coax to connect to the clients, while the HR44 is wireless to the clients.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, the actual multiswitch must be on the roof with the Dish, so I never saw it.

I remember the Rep saying something about wireless, so I assume it's a HR44 Genie, but the way the house is, I'll still use Coax since it's there and not an inconvenience.

Each C31 watching Live TV uses one of those 5 tuners, a HR24 or H25 will not (not a huge deal), BUT are you saying the HR24 cant watch the Genie recorded shows or is difficult to access?

MRV = multi room viewing?

I dont have any lag with the whole home dvr service, I do recall people mentioning lag on the guide with the C31's though. The rep approved me for 2 C31's, I have a H25 that I OWN(not leased), so I could always switch it out and not affect my contract.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

SWM stands for Single Wire Multiswitch. It is integrated into the LNB. It doesn't do the same thing as a regular multiswitch as it is a different technology.

If you have MRV (yes, Multi-Room Viewing), you should be fine. You ought to check and see if you could drop the MRV charge if you went with a C31 in place of the HR34, though. I guess that keeping the HR24 does give you a total of 7 tuners, though, doesn't it. Might there be times when you could use more than 5?

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

More than 5? Not too likely, but each recording uses a tuner, and the more important feature is being able to watch recorded shows in more rooms.
I can watch race in one room, wife her girly shows, daughter her sophia/Dora shows.

They wouldn't waive the charge, but there is only one dvr fee per account. So I could keep that or an h25. I didn't press for a 3rd client, because I got a lot of other discounts for renewel.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't gone the Genie route myself yet, mainly because I don't have a coax going to my master bedroom TV set -- just an HDMI cable. Now that they've come out with the HR44, I may do so. Literally, only because of the 5 tuners. There are times (albeit very few) when 4 tuners (2 DVRs) isn't enough.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Well I did hear some chatter about not running totally wireless, but that will depend on the router and home layout. I'd hardwire the genie and let the clients stream if I had to. Depending where your master is, they may add a coax port for a nominal upsell fee (Cox is about 75).
post #11 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just to clarify for you guys, the HR44 has nothing to do with being able to have a TV get DirecTV service without a coax run. The HR44 is pretty much the exact same thing as the HR34 except a little smaller and it has WiFi built in to connect your system to your home WiFi network for downloading On demand shows, using TV apps, etc. It does not allow you to send DirecTV channels to other receivers wirelessly.

However, there is a new client that is currently coming out called the C41W. It does work without a coax cable running to it (it does need to be hooked to power and with an HDMI/component/composite cabel to your TV though). It requires the Wireless Video Bridge and either the HR34 or HR44 genie as a server. If you want to learn more about it chech this out.
http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206417-dbstalk-exclusive-first-look-the-wireless-genie-client-c41w-100-wireless-video-bridge/
post #12 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was the C41W, I just thought it was always partnered with the HR44. Didn't realize the wireless bridge was a separate unit. I knew that it did not use the home's WiFi network for connection to the clients.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page