PC to HDTV; Netflix over PC not as clear as through Blu-ray Netflix app. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just hooked up a wired PC to my big-screen HDTV TV. Here's the problem. If I watch a Netflix movie through the app on my wireless Blu-ray, and compare the same movie viewed through Netflix on the PC, the quality of the Blu-ray transmission is considerably better (most noticeably brighter) than the PC transmission. I want to improve the PC to the quality of the Blu-ray, but I can't figure out what's wrong.

The PC is Acer AXC600-UR12 i3-3220, direct wired. The Blu-ray is Sony BDP-S3100, using a wireless signal from an access point some distance away. The TV is Samsung PN43E450. The ISP is U-Verse. My measured download speed is just over 16Mbps.

Any ideas? Much obliged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Are you using PC VGA to TV or PC HDMI to TV VGA is analog lot of TV's don't display /convert that well or allow for full adjustments or picture settings/modes

. Use HDMI from PC to TV it usually works much better .
You have 1 HDMI port on the PC you could run your PC monitor on VGA or DVI-D it should look fine and your TV over HDMI . Actually with DVI-D to HDMI you can run that to TV but HDMI is best. . Also PC to TV HDMI carries audio.
you might need to force Netflix/Silverlight stream manager to HD on PC .
You can also get HDMI switcher for TV (cheap ) if you need more HDMI in.

FORCE HD on NETFLIX for Win PC or MAC

First get Netflix video playing
You may have to exit full screen to access stream manager

PC

Easy Set Netflix Silverlight Bit Rate on PC

First put mouse pointer on screen while video is playing.

Then Just press shift + alt key and left click mouse
diag menu comes up and you can select Stream manager there
1750 -2300 bit rate works fine for HD

MAC
MAC (Ctrl+Shift+Option+S for Mac) : Stream Manger (Stream bit rate; Manual rate selection)

Alt PC method

PC Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S or Shift +Alt+ Left Click

To use the following shortcuts, you may or may not have to exit Full Screen Mode:

Keyboard shorcuts
F : To enable Full Screen Mode
Esc : To exit Full Screen Mode
PgUp : Play
PgDn : Pause
Space or Enter : Toggle between Play and Pause
Ctrl+Space : Pauses movie and shows and enters Key Frame Viewer; use arrow keys to fast forward or rewind.

NOTE: click manual set in dialog box set 1750 or higher works good for HD
Video may play at lower resolution for a few minutes then buffer for HD while still playing then play HD you may or may not have to do this with every HD movie YMMV .
This is for Netflix in Chrome or Firefox browser should work same in IE. I have not tried this in Netflix for WMC .

No Joy on Amazon Prime . on there you have to have a "compatible device "
but you can still get a decent pix. You Tube has a lot of HD now also there is a lot of stuff you can only get on PC
Free Hulu also if you don't mind the ads . How do you like the TV ?

Additional Silverlight Netflix Shortcuts

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M (Ctrl+Shift+Option+M for Mac) : Access the Diagnostics Menu

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D (Ctrl+Shift+Option+D for Mac) : A/V stats

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+P (Ctrl+Shift+Option+P for Mac) : Player info

Note: To close any of the above windows, simply repeat the keyboard shortcut.
or close dialog box.

source: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/7854/netflix-movie-player-use-keyboard-shortcuts-when-viewing-watch-instantly-videos/

NOTE: On Netflix page you can select Watch Instantly + SHOW HD for PC / Mac or SHOW ALL HD works on both.
Edited by tubetwister - 8/20/13 at 2:46pm

If all the above that doesn't work pick up a dedicated HD 6450 1 GB 64 bit PCIe fanless video card it's better than Intel HD. and plays HDTV very well .

i3 is very good CPU just that Intel HD graphics aren't all that.

HD 6450 is cheap also $25.00 after rebate great HT card not for major gaming though . Download and use the latest AMD catalyst software for 6450 from AMD
throw the CD away . Also HD 6450 will upscale DVD real well .
The catalyst software gives you way more control . It usually works best when TV HDMI out is set to 1080p regardless of your set .You can run up to 3 screens independently at different resolutions off it also.

The Sapphire card is good frees up CPU cycles and does HDWE accel also.
it only uses max about 25 watts will work fine on stock OE PCIe power .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for all that. I made all the tweaks you suggest--or all that the computer would let me make. It made some improvement, but not nearly enough. I think a new graphics card is my next purchase. I may be getting obsessive, but I prefer to think it's just iron-jawed determination.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to tell you: I'm using HDMI on both the Blu-ray and on the PC. Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you viewing through the Netflix webpage, or through the Windows 8 app? The webpage doesn't do HD, at least not the last time I used it. The Windows 8 app is able to do 1080p and 5.1 audio.

You may want to post this thread in the HTPC area of the forums.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 16
Since you are using HDMI inputs for both, don't dismiss this as an HDMI setting problem. HDMI can be either RGB or component. I have done some research lately using a Quantum Data pattern generator, which can output either signal. In the input/HDMI menu, many sets have dynamic range choices. This makes the brightness levels right for the type of signal used. Some sets have an auto setting for this, some don't. Your SS seems to only have brightness normal or low available for RGB HDMI signals. RGB signals will appear brighter/enhanced than component signals if the same setting is used for both. BluRay uses component HDMI. I would imagine the PC is using RGB.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonameworks View Post

Many thanks for all that. I made all the tweaks you suggest--or all that the computer would let me make. It made some improvement, but not nearly enough. I think a new graphics card is my next purchase. I may be getting obsessive, but I prefer to think it's just iron-jawed determination.

Obsessive ,not at all computer should be able to do decent HD these days. I put HD6450 and connected 2 TV with hdmi on 2 computers one was an i3 the other a phenom II x 4 845 both can now display HD that looks as good as HDTV
The HD6450 seems to work best with resolution set at 1080p regardless of your TV resolution less underscan . In any event whatever resolution
1080p/720p that you decide looks better on your particular TV the AMD software includes a sliding over/underscan adjustment rather than the crappy stepped adjustment in intel graphics
go for it !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply HDTV Technical