Need help setting up HDTV antenna with Denon 2113 AVR and Acer Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,
Here is my dilemma. I am trying to use my Denon 2113 as my central hub. I want to cut the cord, and only use over the air HDTV transmissions from the local networks. The problem with this Denon model is that it does not have a coax input, and all of the hdtv antenna's available on the market for purchase all use coax instead of HDMI. Any ideas how I can set this up? I am open to any wild and crazy ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Very common setup when using OTA signals with a surround system. There are 2 ways you can do this:
1) Look on the back of your tv and see what kind of digital audio output jack it has. It should be optical (fiber optic) or coaxial (orange RCA jack) or it could have both. Your Denon can support both formats. Just get the right cable to hook up the tv to the Denon and you'll get 5.1
2) if your tv and Denon both support ARC, then just hook up an HDMI cable from the HDMI input marked ARC on the tv, to the receivers HDMI output. Turn on ARC on both units.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-06-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply but this solution unfortunately doesn't work. I dont have a TV, I have an Acer projector. Further, I am trying to use the Denon 2113 as my central HUB. So I need to convert the signal coming off my over the air TV antenna to something that can be input into an Denon 2113 AVR receiver. My Denon 2113 AVR receiver does not have a coax input. Any other ideas?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 11
Pick up a PVR (iView, Homeworx, etc.) that has an internal ATSC tuner & HDMI out.

I'm using a Homeworx HW-150 pvr to do exactly what you want to do. Works a treat.
There are some threads on that one & the iView here

Homeworx

iView
post #5 of 5 Old 09-07-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To put it another way, you need the equivalent of a cable or satellite box (or DVR), but for OTA signals. Although A/V receivers can receive and tune radio broadcasts (AM/FM) simply by hooking up an antenna, they can't do the same with OTA TV broadcasts, basically for historical reasons. It wasn't until about the last 10-15 years that a lot of people started to integrate TVs into high-quality sound systems. By then, most people had switched from OTA to cable or satellite, especially people who were interested in high-quality audio and video in the days before digital TV.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page