Reception - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my livingroom, I have a leaf antenna connected to a converter box. I get the Retro channel very well. In the bedroom, I have a leaf antenna conncted to my Tivo. I can't get the Retro channel at all. I ran a 20 ft. cable from my Tivo to the livingroom and used a splitter where I connected the leaf antenna in the same spot as my livingroom antenna. I still can't pick up that Retro channel. Would an antenna booster help? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
See: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409080/note-put-a-location-in-the-title-of-all-antenna-threads-tvfool-info-in-1st-post/0_100
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Yeah, we're gong to need more information. Lots.

You have way too many variables going on. Could have multipath in the bedroom but not in the living room. Could be that the converter box has more sensitivity (Lord knows my converter boxes pull in about ten channels my TVs don't). Could be that the signal in the living room is JUST weak enough that putting a splitter in the line knocks it down below what the TiVo considers acceptable.

Move the TiVo into the living room. Disconnect the antenna from the converter and connect it into the TiVo. If that doesn't work, then the signal's too weak or the multipath is too high for the TiVo to work with.

But before we venture further, need that location, TV Fool report, Make and model of the converter box... are you ground floor? What type of structure? What channel is Retro on? Probably a subchannel, but of which station?

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The TiVo Premiere tuner is not as sensitive as some converter boxes and other TV tuners. It has issues with multipath and error correction. And electrical noise. That could be part of the problem.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Really just wanted to know how good antenna boosters are. Radio Shack said to try one. Really not that important, but thought about buying a cheap one. Thanks for all the responses.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Amps can help in some situations. But choose Channel Master, Winegard, or even RCA rather than RadioShack. Better quality can make a difference.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Bought a GE booster yesterday at Walmart. Can get the channels that I couldn't get before. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A booster will not help the QUALITY of your reception. Nothing is a substitute for a decent antenna pointed in the correct direction without obstructions. Amplified antennas are nothing but a poor antenna with a booster. If you need higher antenna gain, well you need higher ANTENNA gain. Channel Master are about the best.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Actually, the amplifier CAN improve the quality of reception although it can not affect the quality of the signal. This effect is particularly noticeable with indoor antennas and with antennas in otherwise weak signal areas. For signals that are just on the edge of usefulness due to signal power that's at or just below the threshold of usability at the tuner, adding a good amp will do three things - replace the noise figure of the tuner with the generally quieter noise figure of the amp, boost the signal to noise ratio, and bring the power levels of the signal up to overcome other losses in the input.

It's been years since Channelmaster's stuff was particularly good. Now, they're just another Chinese-made supplier of mediocre stuff.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The newer Chinese made antennas that Channel Master sells are not as good as their original American made products, for the most part. But their distribution amps made by PCT get good reviews.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

All the channels I get are great quality and the booster got me the channels I was looking for so I'm satisfied.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page