Synopsis of my HDMI issues and data I collected - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am guessing this is the best forum, as it at least has "technical" in the title.

History: Upgrading from old equipment using external oppo and Monoproce switches.
TV's are older TOshiba's.
New oppo103, Fios 7100 box, Pioneer and Panasonic BD's. BD's all had 3 foot or shorter cables.
The FIOS runs into a splitter with 40 foot cables ( BlueJean) to each TV. All cables are at least "high speed" but of unknown origin.

Using the external switches, the TV would lock on in about a second and a half every time. When I used either TV as the HDMI switch, still locked on without any funny business in about 2 seconds. I was blissfully unaware there were HDMI switching problems.

So, after buying the fantastic oppo 103, I bought the Emotiva 200 preamp. BARF! It took about 10 to 11 seconds switching FIOS to BD or back. Sometimes it would never lock on. Flashing pictures, snow, black, blue, sound from either input. As it had other stability issues with the eq system, I sent it back. They are using one of the most current HDMI chips with built in eq.

Bought the Outlaw 975. No eq to mess up. Better, but still has issues with very long lock up. Over 10 seconds and sometimes had to toggle the inputs. At least I never had to power sysle as I did with the Emo. I tested it with the FIOS box on a three foot cable, that eliminated the splitter and long cables. No help at all. None. Sadly, I sent it back.

Bought a Marantz AV7005 preamp. It switched every time in under two seconds. Works fine with the long cables and splitter. But, as I found Audessey totally useless and no ability to tweak the eq to mu liking, I was not spending $1700 just to switch as well as a $100 oppo switch. Still have not received the correct remote control, so never tested the FM. So it went back.

Bought a NAD T757. Switches fine. Maybe a tad slower than the MArantz, but totally reliable.

All I got from several tech support lines, involved companies and others, was "HDMI has issues" "Oh, it is the HDCP mess". I flat don;t believe either.

Read everything on the HDCP (Digital-cp) site. Everythig on HDMI.org Read a lot od data sheets and papers on EDN and IEEE. My conclusion is that he who may be a brilliant analog amp designer is not a brilliant digital interface designer. THis may be a not very robust protocol. Yea, the control line is not a twisted pair. Connectors stink. But it is manageable!

None of my sources or syncs require bandwidth past the 1.3 standards, and for that matter, I am not using any of the 1.4b features. All the "new standards" excuses I an getting seem to be hollow. If I don't use ARC, don't use CEC or Ethernet, they are not causing switching issues. If I am not sending 4K 3D, but plain old 1080p 5.1 audio, with BD level color, again, this is old 1.3 level specs. I don;t get pixelation or colored snow watching anything, so it is not timing on the three data lines. The HDCP seems to be built into the chips, so I am guessing there is not oppertunity for the preamp firmware to be messing it up. Could it be their ability to detect the video or audio formats? I wish I could peek at the schematics.

Finally: Does anyone have any ideas why these first units had such terrible problems? A coworker just bought a "ci" Denon and he says it flashes around when switching. My sister said their HK is cantankerous. Have consumers been putting up with this for 11 years? What the heck is going on? Is it poor interface design not doing a decent job of noise rejection or pulse shaping? Are the timing specs too loose and causing compatibility issues? The Emo was the perfect feature set. I am really bummed it did not work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-17-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I finally got a tip on what I was looking for to understand all the specs on color depth being tossed around. Almost all of them were wrong, including several "authoritative" column writers.
WIKI, when you know what to look for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV

As best as I can tell, DVD's and BD's are 4:2:0p encoded. HDMI 1.1 does everything I need.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page