Oakland, CA: Antenna Aiming (More critical than I thought) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having enjoyed the knowledge of experts in this forum, I'm hoping my experience might help others.

I left cable more than five years ago and started using an internal antenna with a CM-7000. I'm in Oakland, CA about 11 miles east of Sutro tower so signal strength has not been an issue and I receive clear reception of local broadcasts. Several years ago I switched to an Elgato EyeTV connected to an Apple Mac mini which served as a DVR, and at times the reception would cause a few drop-outs, but nothing intolerable. A year ago I decided to add a smallish external antenna, an EZ-TV from Denny's Antennas, on the roof about 12' above ground. As expected almost every station had good reception with no dropouts. I used a compass and several up-and-down ladder trips to aim the antenna so the trickiest stations 5, 7, 9, and 44, were coming in well. Everything was good until March when channel 5 and 9 started experiencing almost constant dropouts. Checking the EyeTV's signal strength readout showed good signal strength with a 40-50% drop several times a minute on channel 5 only. What I haven't yet mentioned is that 30' from the antenna, in direct line with Sutro tower are some really tall redwood trees. I was starting to suspect an interaction which had evolved to the point of affecting channel 5's reception. I also considered the EyeTV was starting to fail after 3+ years of constant use.

Assuming that the Mac mini (now 7 years old) and EyeTV probably needed replacing, I started to price some new hardware. After discovering Elgato no longer sold USB tuners in the USA, I decided to buy a new TiVo Roamio and abandon the computer as DVR system. After connecting and setting up the TiVo I tested all the channels and discovered weak reception on channel 9, which brought me back to the antenna/tree dilemma. The first and easiest test was to try adjusting the antenna up on the roof. Since I could control the TiVo with my iPhone, I started a FaceTime between my iPad, pointed at the TV and my iPhone up on the roof with me. I turned on TiVo's signal quality overlay and started re-aiming the antenna. To my complete astonishment a movement of less than 1/8" caused the signal to increase 30%. With the slightest aiming change I could send the signal fluctuating between 42% and 72%!

For some reason I assumed aiming the antenna meant getting it within a couple inches for maximum signal strength not a couple millimeters. Oh well, live and learn. The new TiVo was a great choice and after re-aiming the antenna is working well. It will be interesting to see what happens when as the weather changes over Fall and Winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Consider yourself lucky... or unlucky. Corrupted digital signals tend to exhibit "avalanche" failure characteristics. If your signal was unprocessable due to multipath, a tiny change in antenna orientation can result in the offending multipath signal component dropping to just below the level at which it causes a problem, but it can take next to nothing... like an increase or decrease in leaf cover or sap density, to change it unfavorably.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Absolutely, as you mention, I feel lucky. But can't help but be fascinated by the whole process and have a greater respect for how difficult it is to solve the various issues that crop up in this forum.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page