Solution to getting analog channels on my HDTV w/ a broken aux ant jack?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after putting my 42" plasma on the wall, I ripped the aux antenna jack right out of the back of the tv by mistake. This wouldn't be an issue to me if I had cable but I currently don't and am against paying for cable. I've been happy for months picking up a dozen channels with my leaf antenna. I tried replacing the antenna jack by soldering another piece in but that was a complete failure. My next step would be to buy a new main board for the tv to replace but I can't find anything cheaper then 100$. Is there anyway around this? Maybe a digital tv tuner converter box??

With my current leaf antenna setup like I said I pick up 12 channels, all analog, 0 digital. So my concern here is to get my analog channels back.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I don't know how to fix that. But you can stream from the internet, either with the screen connected to you computer or direct if the screen has a wifi connection.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Did you try soldering a "tail" piece of RG 6 to the board, then use an f-fitting with a coupler on the other end?
Might be easier to solder on a piece of wire rather than trying to solder back the connector.

Also how are you getting analog channels? Unless you live in a rural area with low power transmitters, mostly all channels broadcasted are digital.
post #4 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Did you try soldering a "tail" piece of RG 6 to the board, then use an f-fitting with a coupler on the other end?
Might be easier to solder on a piece of wire rather than trying to solder back the connector.

Also how are you getting analog channels? Unless you live in a rural area with low power transmitters, mostly all channels broadcasted are digital.

Ya, I tried soldering in wire before connecting the jack.. to tight of a spot to solder

My channel scan came back with only analog and 0 digital. I'm not in a rural area so I was kind of shocked myself to not pick up any digital channels. Maybe I need to move around the leaf.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

And to get a better idea of what I tried soldering, it was the ant jack into this piece http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EG88ME/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I didn't need to solder to the board. I guess I could buy that piece (link above) but since I failed the first time soldering, im hesitant about trying to solder more parts.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

anyone? i guess replacing that piece is my only option???
post #7 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
By far the cheapest HD tuner you'll find is THIS which has the added advantage of it being a DVR if you attach a USB HDD.
It's kind of quirky and I don't like the remote(although a new remote is being shipped now, so make sure you get new stock). Any other new HD tuner is bound to cost $100s.
Note this tuner is digital only(I can't believe if you live in the US you'd have anything but digital channels available) if all you want is analog then any old VCR with a tuner and composite output should work for you. What is your location? city.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

By far the cheapest HD tuner you'll find is THIS which has the added advantage of it being a DVR if you attach a USB HDD.
It's kind of quirky and I don't like the remote(although a new remote is being shipped now, so make sure you get new stock). Any other new HD tuner is bound to cost $100s.
Note this tuner is digital only(I can't believe if you live in the US you'd have anything but digital channels available) if all you want is analog then any old VCR with a tuner and composite output should work for you. What is your location? city.

thanks for the reply. I actually looked into this tuner before, but decided against it since it only picks up digital channels.

Area code 06010
post #9 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleb86 View Post

thanks for the reply. I actually looked into this tuner before, but decided against it since it only picks up digital channels.

Area code 06010
What analog stations were you getting?

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

What analog stations were you getting?

nbc, fox, this tv, cozi tv, cbs, cw.. 10 channels all analog
post #11 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

None of those affiliates are broadcasting in analog in your area. They're all digital. You'll need a digital tuner to get them over-the-air.

post #12 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

None of those affiliates are broadcasting in analog in your area. They're all digital. You'll need a digital tuner to get them over-the-air.

Thought it was weird myself when doing a channel scan on both tvs after hooking up the leaf antenna i got "10 channels: annalog, 0 digital"

am I doing something wrong?
post #13 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

a "digital converter" box wont work correct? these convert from digital to analog
post #14 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I'm confused. Earlier, you said:
Quote:
With my current leaf antenna setup like I said I pick up 12 channels, all analog, 0 digital.
You can't pick up any analog channels because there aren't any. Well, there's one and it's Spanish.

So, I'm assuming you were picking up digital stations, because the channels you list include some channels that are digital subchannels.

You're probably going to have to find someone who's good with a solder gun to attach a new F-connector to the tv board. Of course, if you have to pay for that, then you might as well buy a new board or a set-top box. Were it me, I'd just go with some of the suggestions above. And probably a rooftop antenna. Those "leaf" antennas are largely expensive gimmicks.

post #15 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

a "digital converter" box wont work correct? these convert from digital to analog
I'm sure your plasma has a composite video (yellow jack) input, but why would you want to put a standard-definition picture on a plasma. No, you need a converter with a component or HDMI output. You can run through our list here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis But you'll need to research those out. Hasn't been updated in a while and some of those are out of production. Though there is always someone willing to sell one.

post #16 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm confused. Earlier, you said:
You can't pick up any analog channels because there aren't any. Well, there's one and it's Spanish.

So, I'm assuming you were picking up digital stations, because the channels you list include some channels that are digital subchannels.

You're probably going to have to find someone who's good with a solder gun to attach a new F-connector to the tv board. Of course, if you have to pay for that, then you might as well buy a new board or a set-top box. Were it me, I'd just go with some of the suggestions above. And probably a rooftop antenna. Those "leaf" antennas are largely expensive gimmicks.

No, i've said this whole time that ive been picking up only analog channels (from what both of my tv tuners have told me) and 0 digital channels
post #17 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm sure your plasma has a composite video (yellow jack) input, but why would you want to put a standard-definition picture on a plasma. No, you need a converter with a component or HDMI output. You can run through our list here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis But you'll need to research those out. Hasn't been updated in a while and some of those are out of production. Though there is always someone willing to sell one.

so a converter box will kill the quality since it changes it over to analog correct?

I understand I need a composite or hdmi to tv out
post #18 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

You're confusing broadcast methods with picture signals. Analog television broadcasting ceased a number of years ago. Analog US broadcasts were limited to standard-definition picture signals. Digital broadcasts can carry HD picture signals. At your end of things, the digital broadcast is converted to something your television can display. On a set top box, composite outputs (yellow) can only carry standard definition analog picture signals. Component outputs (red, green, blue) carry high-definition analog picture signals. HDMI carries digital signals to the television and lets IT do the conversion. So, anything with HDMI or component outputs will give you HDTV.
Quote:

No, i've said this whole time that ive been picking up only analog channels (from what both of my tv tuners have told me) and 0 digital channels
You don't have your coax still hooked into the cable system, do you? Cable companies still send some analog channels. Usually, local broadcast and community access. If that's what you're doing, but not paying for it, then it's theft of service.

post #19 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You're confusing broadcast methods with picture signals. Analog television broadcasting ceased a number of years ago. Analog US broadcasts were limited to standard-definition picture signals. Digital broadcasts can carry HD picture signals. At your end of things, the digital broadcast is converted to something your television can display. On a set top box, composite outputs (yellow) can only carry standard definition analog picture signals. Component outputs (red, green, blue) carry high-definition analog picture signals. HDMI carries digital signals to the television and lets IT do the conversion. So, anything with HDMI or component outputs will give you HDTV.
You don't have your coax still hooked into the cable system, do you? Cable companies still send some analog channels. Usually, local broadcast and community access. If that's what you're doing, but not paying for it, then it's theft of service.

I have picked up a couple HD channels so I must be picking up digital.

I'm not hooked up to any cable system
post #20 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Alright since I've come to the conclusion that my channels coming in are in fact DIGITAL... and not analog like i thought. I ordered the iView 3500STB DTV Converter Box that was recommended above as well as the replacement tuner piece to solder in when I get around to it.

I will share my results next week when I first try the converter box..

also, I moved the antenna yesterday and rescanned my channels getting a total of 16 now!!.. kinda curious to see if hooking up the tuner will increase my antennas range
post #21 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I hope your OK with the iView. Like I said the original remote(which they may still be shipping) really lacked. It was small and illogically laid out(like a Cyberhome DVD remote if your familiar with that) and the tuner is a bit quirky(mostly related to the DVR function). Overall for the price I find it a bargain, but it ain't no Tivo biggrin.gif
post #22 of 22 Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I hope your OK with the iView. Like I said the original remote(which they may still be shipping) really lacked. It was small and illogically laid out(like a Cyberhome DVD remote if your familiar with that) and the tuner is a bit quirky(mostly related to the DVR function). Overall for the price I find it a bargain, but it ain't no Tivo biggrin.gif

This device did the trick! Picked up all my 16 channels im currently getting. Will definitely consider upgrading the remote. Thanks for the advice!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page