how to connect speakers to Panasonic ST50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Im havin problem connecting my surround speakers to Panasonic ST50.
Im having AV2 jack in TV. And for now i just want to connect subwoofer to TV. I connect red and white jack from speakers INPUT in TV AV2 red and white, and i got no sound comming out of subwoofer. What should i do? Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croscorpio View Post

Hello. Im havin problem connecting my surround speakers to Panasonic ST50.
Im having AV2 jack in TV. And for now i just want to connect subwoofer to TV. I connect red and white jack from speakers INPUT in TV AV2 red and white, and i got no sound comming out of subwoofer. What should i do? Please help

Here's a photo of the back of the TC-P55ST50

Which connections are you using for the speakers and subwoofer because the only audio out I can see is the digital audio out (not composite)?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yea i dont understand what is digital audio out at all. Never saw that cable. So i got with my TV the green jack that goes in AV2. So i thought that audio has to be plugged there. No other option.
So u sayin i shud buy digital audio cable? Or is it more like jack in which i can plug white and red audio jacks?
post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 100
You need a digital audio out cable, called optical, or toslink. Unfortunately RCA red white audio out is no longer provided on the newer TVs. But I believe that TV may have HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) which is another option.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok i will buy digital audio out cable and plug it in TV. What about other side of cable. I see different types of digital audio cables online. But most of them are male-male. And i dont have nothing like that in my surround system. I have only RCA. Is there an digital audio cable with male in TV and 2 female plugs for red and white?
Or what is your exact suggestion that i do?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 272
With those connections, I doubt that your ST50 can push a subwoofer at all. For best results, you'll need a receiver to connect the speakers to and then run the video to the ST50. Optical out is usually used when you are using the internal ATSC tuner of the tv and want to hear 5.1 audio from either OTA or the SmartApps if they support 5.1 out. ARC is another option but all that really does is save you from having to use an optical cable. However, the avr has to support ARC as well. IOW, both devices, the tv and the avr have to be ARC capable.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
HDTV's are inherently a STEREO device...with built-in L & R speakers.

To hear the DD5.1 Surround Sound, you need to conect the Digital Audio Output (using Optical aka Toslink Cable) into an external Surround Amplifier or Surround Receiver (e.g. Home Theater In-A-Box) which will decode the Digital Audio signal and have 5 (or more) Power Amplifier channels to drive multiple speakers (L/C/R/LR/RR plus perhaps LS/RS for 7.1) and perhaps also a SW Amp (although EXTERNAL Sub-Woofer Amps are much more common).
post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. So i do have surround system in a box. Even though i want only subwoofer.
So i just ordered digital to analog audio sound adapter converter. And also TOSlink cable which will lead from TV to adapter. Adapter does have red and white RCA out.
That should work, right? smile.gif
Even though i think that i should get such adapter with my TV since im literally forced in switching from rca to digital audio cables.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Could you please explain what kind of set up you're trying to do?

Typically with surround sound, you'd connect your video/audio sources (e.g. Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box) to your receiver (as input) then have all your speakers and subwoofer connected to the receiver (as output).

Alternately, if you have your video/audio sources connected to your TV, then you can use a digital optical cable to connect the TV to your receiver.

It sounds like you're trying to use the speakers on the TV with a separate subwoofer. I don't think the TV is able to handle the subwoofer directly, so you'll have to have the subwoofer connected to your receiver.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page