All HDMI Ports blown, how to hook up PS3/DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys,

Don't know too much about this stuff.  A while back while hooking up my HD DVR (Fios) to by Visio LCD, it created a big spark, blew the fuse to my basement and apparently fried all of the HDMI ports on my TV.  The cable box still works fine.  The TV will work as a computer monitor still when hooked up with a traditional monitor cable from my laptop, but I want to know if I can hook up my PS3 or even the DVR using another method than HDMI. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you want HD, it's wither HDMI or component. Most cable boxes should have a component output.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
First of all, for your own SAFETY, you should be concerned as to WHY there was a SPARK...and WHY should there be a current overload strong enough (on a low-voltage, low current interface) to actually BLOW THE FUSE.....because if it happened once, what's to prevent it from doing it again.....

I would recommend using an Voltage Outlet Tester Plug, available at you local Home Supply Store, to verify that all 120 VAC electrical outlets are correctly wired....perhaps there is a missing RETURN (White wire) or Safety Ground (Green wire):
http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Receptacle-Outlet-Ground-Tester/dp/B0012DHVQ0

Before reconnecting components, i would use a Volt-Ohm-Meter to see if there was any significant (more than 1 volt) difference between their metal chassis's (both AC and DC). If you measure significant voltage, something is not right.....
post #4 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I agree, you shouldn't be blowing a 20A fuse just by plugging in an HDMI cable...there is something seriously wrong somewhere and my guess is the TV itself is defective.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page