Will this roof antenna work for OTA? Denver, CO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I have an old antenna on the roof of my place and am wondering if it will work with my Tivo for OTA. The previous tenant of the house cut the wire from it for cable, so I'd like to know if it will work before I go to to the trouble of rewiring it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That is a very effective Combination VHF/UHF Antenna and should work quite well if you are within the relatively FLAT Metro Denver area.....but for a better answer, enter your location into www.tvfool.com and see how much Gain Margin you have to overcome multipath fading, attenuation thru trees, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #3 of 9 Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Many people have the misconception that digital broadcasts require a new "HD antenna" but in reality the old UHF/VHF antennas work quite well. In Denver remember that 7 and 9 are broadcast on VHF and the rest are on UHF.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes the antenna will work. Just make sure it's aimed properly towards Denver. In your picture, the left side of the antenna is the front.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yes, the antenna should work. I wouldn't buy one like it as there now much better choices it's a type that's obsolete for most markets, but for a price of almost nothing, it's worth a couple of dollars investment to see if it can be put into service.

For the antenna itself, install a new matching transformer while cleaning any corrosion or rust from the terminals.
Install length of new RG6 or RG6QS (either is fine, don't overpay) from the antenna to the TIVO.
Run through the TIVO's setup per its instructions.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 12
Make sure it is pointed towards lookout mountain and that all of the coax & connections are good-no corrosion, majorly long runs, unnecessary splits, quad RG6 if possible. May as well plug it in and test it out before doing any major work...
post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome everyone, thanks so much! I especially appreciate the suggestions about pointing it- the smaller end is definitely pointed in the direction of Lookout Mountain so I may be good on that front. Currently I have a small powered antenna inside that looks a lot like this: Terk Low-Profile Antenna. I'm assuming a large rooftop antenna would perform better than it, is that accurate?

Thanks again!
post #8 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xIke View Post

Awesome everyone, thanks so much! I especially appreciate the suggestions about pointing it- the smaller end is definitely pointed in the direction of Lookout Mountain so I may be good on that front. Currently I have a small powered antenna inside that looks a lot like this: Terk Low-Profile Antenna. I'm assuming a large rooftop antenna would perform better than it, is that accurate?

Thanks again!

Outside and higher is pretty much always better-assuming no interference/line of sight issues and it is a good antenna.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

I finally made some time to run the coax and perch on a ladder to rotate the antenna...everything works great. Thanks again for all the help everyone!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page