HDMI Port Problems. Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everyone, I'm new here so I hope someone can help me.

A few years ago I purchased a Panasonic TC-P42c2 LCD Television. I use it to play video games and such, typically through HDMI or Component.

A while ago I wanted to try to get a better picture from my retro consoles, so I used this product here:

Now here comes the problem, I can only get a picture if I plug in this device.  When I try to plug in my WiiU or PS3, I don't get any picture or sound.  I did some research and I think it may be a problem with the EDID, but I am not certain.  I'm considering buying the DR HDMI EDID correcting device, but I figured I would come here first.

Hope to hear from someone soon,

RM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any ideas to what the problem is?
post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
not really sure what your question is. Are you saying that if you plug the composite video output from your console into the device pictured above, you don't get any HDMI signal out of it?
post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I only get a signal from that device. If I unplug it and plug something else in directly with HDMI (like my laptop or PS3) then I get no picture or sound. I only get a signal when I have something plugged into the converter.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Your other devices (PS3, etc) could be set to resolutions that the TV does not support but you can't see the menu options to reset them to an acceptable resolution. or their HDMI outputs could be turned off or damaged.

Typical solutions: (if possible - some may not be)
Power the different devices up in various orders.
Connect using composite and reset HDMI resolution.
Find factory reset using key combinations found in owner's manual.
Try another cable.
Verify the other devices have working HDMI outputs by connecting to another TV/Monitor.
If they work with other monitors, set output to lowest possible resolution.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Question: Since the above Converter is LOW-REZ ONLY, have you considered upgrading PS3 and/or Wii-U with an HDMI port (if they aren't already equipped) and connect directly, in HIGH-DEFINITION, to HDMI port on HDTV??? Perhaps you need a Multi-Port HDMI Switch from Monoprice or other supplier instead????
post #7 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Question: Since the above Converter is LOW-REZ ONLY, have you considered upgrading PS3 and/or Wii-U with an HDMI port (if they aren't already equipped) and connect directly, in HIGH-DEFINITION, to HDMI port on HDTV??? Perhaps you need a Multi-Port HDMI Switch from Monoprice or other supplier instead????

I have directly connected them to an HDTV with HDMI, as stated earlier.  It is not the consoles that are at fault, it is the ports on the television.  I have tested the consoles on other HDTV and they work fine. I only get a picture when I have something connected to that converter.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Liked: 16
It sounds like your HDMI sources worked previously with the Pan tv until you used the converter for non HDMI sources. The Pan tv doesn't seem to have any HDMI menu settings, except for audio. The tv seems to be stuck on the settings it selected when connected to the converter. The above suggestions of trying all power up sequences and a factory reset for the tv are good. Otherwise the DR HDMI may work. I would be interested to hear what you find.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoc View Post

It sounds like your HDMI sources worked previously with the Pan tv until you used the converter for non HDMI sources. The Pan tv doesn't seem to have any HDMI menu settings, except for audio. The tv seems to be stuck on the settings it selected when connected to the converter. The above suggestions of trying all power up sequences and a factory reset for the tv are good. Otherwise the DR HDMI may work. I would be interested to hear what you find.

I will try to do a factory reset and then post my results. I have tried resetting the resolutions on my consoles as well as resetting the HDMI settings on them, but to no avail.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Just curious.... have you tried unplugging the TV from wall power for a few minutes?
post #11 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Just curious.... have you tried unplugging the TV from wall power for a few minutes?

Yes I have.  I have also tried the factory reset, both have not worked.  I'm thinking about just caving in and buying the DR HDMI.

post #12 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoc View Post

Is there a way I can possibly override the EDID to get the ports unstuck?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page