Any Richmond, VA antenna advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for basic antenna advice. My house is a ranch, located in a slightly depressed area elevation wise, the media room is partially below ground, so I'm guessing i'll need to place the antenna in the attic, which would mean ~50 foot coaxial run. In the attic means ~25 feet above ground I would guess.

Here's my tvfool results: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae0406a581c0

So most of the stations I want to receive are UHF and due west, with NBC being almost 170 degrees opposite to the east and high VHF band.

What's a good, mountable antenna I can stick in the attic? I just don't want to overkill this, considering how close I am to the stations, you know? I heard I probably don't need to buy an amplified antenna b/c of my proximity to transmitters?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguetguy View Post

What's a good, mountable antenna I can stick in the attic? I just don't want to overkill this, considering how close I am to the stations, you know? I heard I probably don't need to buy an amplified antenna b/c of my proximity to transmitters?
The best solution for your situation is the Winegard 1080. The VHF works best from the back side, so it is a perfect fit here. (& it's cheap to boot)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing that I would point the side with V shaped bits towards the UHF stations, and the backside is the straight out rods?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes that is correct. The only station you may not see is the CW since it's transmitter is off axis all the way out in Ashland.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Just for grins, I decided to test out a basic radio shack 15-1874 in the attic first and see what I could get. I didn't have time to check all the stations, but from what I can remember, I get ABC, CBS, NBC for sure, don't remember if I got FOX. I'll go through the list tonight and double check. It was late when I finished running the cable and hooking it all up.

I was a little confused though, because on my HDTV (which is ~6 years old) the channels show up as the virtual numbering scheme, except NBC is 12.3 and 12.4...no 12.1 or 12.2

I thought that was a little weird. Do more recent HDTV's list channels with real #'s instead of virtual #'s?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 65
An even better choice than the 1080i would be a ClearStream 2V. The 1080i sucks on VHF, it just sucks less off the back than off the front.

Digital channels will always be identified by their virtual numbers. As it happens, your local channel 12's arrangement is a bit odd and your TV might be confused. Try a double rescan to flush out your TV's memory then scan it all over again.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

An even better choice than the 1080i would be a ClearStream 2V. The 1080i sucks on VHF, it just sucks less off the back than off the front.
I agree, but you can't beat the price of the 1080. It doesn't do too bad on higher VHF channels (10-13) so it should be fine for the OP's strong channel 12.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page