Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I have a 2010 era Sony 46" HDTV.

We recently moved and am trying to tune stations OTA.  There are several stations that the TV can't quite lock on, and the picture will be choppy.  I've played with the antenna rotor at length, but can't quite get a reliable signal.  Under the right condtions at night the signal comes in great, but not usually during the day.  

I guess my question is, is there a "better" ATSC tuner box available.  I'd prefer an HDMI hookup, but even if it's not an HD output, getting the channel at all would be an improvement.  I've spent the weekend playing with a variety of signal amplifiers, but haven't had much luck.

Right now I just have the pre-amp and a 50' cable, and that's giving me the best results.  Are there any additional amps/filters/etc anyone would recommend if i can't get a "better" tuner box.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How about posting your www.tvfool.com results ? That will helps us alot.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Sony TVs typically have excellent tuners. Look elsewhere.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the TV Fool report -- any help or advice is greatly appreciated:  http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aee84d0029ed  

I currently have an Antenna's Direct clear stream 4 with a PA18 Pre-amp, 50ft Coax RG6.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

What stations are at issue? All are very weak and you have no margin for typical installation errors like tree or buildings in the signal path. Additionally, WICU is a VHF station and wouldn't be expected to be received with a C4 at those signal levels.

The PA18 is about as good as you're going to get for pre-amps, but you might need a stronger UHF antenna plus a high-VHF antenna.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.  Right now I get 7.1 great.  4.1 works pretty well.  2.1 & 2.2 need the antenna pointed in one spot, anywhere else I loose them altogether.  

26.1,2,3 all come in great.  

If turned to the east, I can get 24.3 only and it's choppy.  That's the only station from that direction that comes in at all.  

I'm fine not getting 12 on the VHF band.  Anyone have any recommendations for a "better" antenna for the UHF signals?  I'd like to get 24, 35, and 54 from the east, but right now my signal meter built into the Sony TV only shows a 20% signal for either station.  I do have some trees about 100 yards away in that direction that are taller than the antenna.  

We appreciate any feedback!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The C4 is doing as well as can be expected for a compact antenna. In fact, I'd say it's doing pretty darned well.

However, you're going the need more metal up in the air so as to offer just a bit more performance. If cost is no object, I'd recommend the DB8e. A thriftier choice would be the 91XG.

Instead of swapping antennas first, do try varying the height of the antenna up and down. UHF signal strengths in 2-edge situations will vary significantly within vertical height ranges of as little as 1-2 feet and it takes some work to find the best overall height for the antenna.

WJET comes from the west, not the east. If you pick it up only when pointed east, your signal path to the west is blocked and you're getting a weak reflection off something to the east.