Technical questions after calibration (colour spaces, gaming, blu ray) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello guys,

I just calibrated my Samsung UE55F6500 with a X-Rite colorimeter and HCFR (thanks to CurtPalme's tutorial) and there are a few things unclear to me.

The HD Standard (REC 709) colour space is limited RGB (16 - 235). Full RGB colour space is 0 - 255. So when setting up my TV I chose colour space native instead of auto/custom is that right? Native means limited RGB correct?

EDIT: The other way around. Native = 0 - 255, Auto = 16 - 235.

And what about the black level setting to be chosen in the Samsung TV menu? HDMI black level normal is for Full RGB, HDMI black level low is for limited RGB? Low should be right then?

EDIT:

Ok, I'm really confused now. Let's say Blacklevel low is 16-235 (ycbcr) and normal is 0-255 (rgb) as often posted. This might be right but when I set my BD-Player to ycbcr 4:2:2 the black level is grayed out and set to normal. Then again I have read that Samsung is mislabeling its black level, which would mean that on Samsung TVs

Normal Blacklevel (16 - 235)   <-- normal as video has always been ycbcr

Low Blacklevel (0 - 255) <-- low as the dark is lower starting at 0?!

When receiving a RGB signal (PS3 set to Full RGB) I can set the black level to low. But then again when setting it to low I do not get any grayscale, the black-level pattern (12 - 25 should flash) is pure blackness.

What do you guys think?

Well, I calibrated the display for my bluray player and chose REC709 as the target value and set the colour space to native. This is what I measured. Pretty decent for the first time I think. :)

What are the correct settings for my BD-Player? 

-YCbCr 422 (10 bit?)
-YCbCr 444 (8 bit?)
-RBG 16-236 (wrong I assume)
-RGB 0-255 (wrong I assume)

When doing the calibration I had my player set up to YCbCr 444 and HDMI-Deep Color to 36 bit. Do I have to redo the grayscale calibration?

HDMI-Deep Color (only a marketing gag?:

-30 bit

-36 bit

-Off

Any ideas on how to improve it?

Well, the next thing I wanted to do is calibrating the TV for my PS3 but I am not sure how to set TV and console up first.

PS3:

Full RGB / Limited RGB ?

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White ?

Deep Colour ?

TV:

HDMI-Input set to PC-Mode due to lowest input lag possible (enables full RGB?)

Colour Space Native/Auto/Custom?

Black Level low/normal?

When Full RGB is enabled if using PC-Mode, should I set the Colour Space to Auto for using Full RGB on my TV and enabling Full RGB on the PS3 too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Wrong section. You need to post this in the DISPLAYS area appropriate for your set.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page