Brand new HDTV kinda "meh" on HD channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

This is my first post. Please excuse the longevity, but I don't know much about HD and am not sure how to figure out this issue (or what I could tell people that would help them help me).

TV: Brand new Samsung F8000 46" (Samsung's "flagship" LED model)

Cable: Verizon FiOS

BluRay: PS3

I bought this TV after a lot of research, it seems to me, and since I've gotten it home I haven't been completely blown away like I was hoping/expecting.

When I play BluRays (recently watched Cloud Atlas) I feel like the TV does a really good job. The clarity is probably the best I've ever seen. After mucking with some settings I feel like I eliminated the motion problems, too. Overall I'm satisifed there, even though a little motion blur can still be seen when doing GTA 5 (and I would love to get rid of that).

The problem really is watching cable. Shouldn't HD broadcasts be awesome? I haven't been impressed. It's certainly not better than my old Samsung 550. I notice some pixelization in some cases. It seems like all the broadcast is in 1920x1080/60i.

I set the DVR/STB to display "Native Format" instead of "1080i", but when I did that I get a list of "Supported" formats, and when I disallowed 1080i I got insane motion blur when trying to watch hockey.

So, my questions are:

1) Could this be a problem with the TV set?

2) Could this be a problem with FiOS (and could they fix it potentially)?

3) Would I be better off spending the exta $150-$200 and getting the 51" Samsung F8500 (Plasma)?

Appreciate everyone's help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson622 View Post

Hi all,
The problem really is watching cable. Shouldn't HD broadcasts be awesome? I haven't been impressed. It's certainly not better than my old Samsung 550. I notice some pixelization in some cases. It seems like all the broadcast is in 1920x1080/60i.

I set the DVR/STB to display "Native Format" instead of "1080i", but when I did that I get a list of "Supported" formats, and when I disallowed 1080i I got insane motion blur when trying to watch hockey.

What resolution were you expecting? Cable/FiOS channels max out at 1080i.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks for the reply.

It's maybe not the resolution I was expecting.. it is the quality I was expecting. I just spent a good chunk of change on this new TV and was under the impression (based on conversations I have had) that HD should be very good on cable. I was particularly told that sports, especially football, I should be wow'ed.

I'm not wow'ed at all. The problem is I don't know if it is a TV setting, a cable setting, or faulty expectations. But shouldn't football on TV (like last night Chargers-Colts game on ESPN) be insanely crisp? I felt like it was as good as my old TV.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Well, keep in mind that to get 500+ channels over one coaxial wire, they have to compress them. Even FiOS's fiber to the home system has to have some compression. That takes its toll on the signal and won't be as good as Blu-ray, or even some streaming.

I'm on TWC and I've found it to be adequate, but it was never mindblowing, either.

I'm not sure there is too much to adjust settingswise. You might try your TV model's thread in the LCD forum here, but I just don't think there is too much tweaking to do. You're also coming from an HDTV to an HDTV. Just not a big leap there, no matter what the tech is. Especially if the TVs were the same resolution (not sure what your old TV was.) I recently went from an old 50" DLP 720p job to a 55" 1080p LED. While definitely improvement, it wasn't "blow you out of your chair" that going from a 27" CRT to the DLP was.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson622 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

It's maybe not the resolution I was expecting.. it is the quality I was expecting. I just spent a good chunk of change on this new TV and was under the impression (based on conversations I have had) that HD should be very good on cable. I was particularly told that sports, especially football, I should be wow'ed.

I'm not wow'ed at all. The problem is I don't know if it is a TV setting, a cable setting, or faulty expectations. But shouldn't football on TV (like last night Chargers-Colts game on ESPN) be insanely crisp? I felt like it was as good as my old TV.
Isn't ESPN 720p? Last I saw it it wasn't what I'd call good 720p at that. Now the NFL network should be different if you have access to that but personally I've never much cared for 720p channels but others may differ.
Tune into primetime CBS and if that looks just meh then something might be wrong. Also don't go off of ABC, at least in my market their picture quality is atrocious, fuzzy, macroblocking at any movement, etc. just pathetic!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 100
For some reason, I feel cable and antenna channels look better on the FH6030 models than they do on the higher end versions such as F7100 and F8000. The FH series is direct lit rather than edge lit, and has no microdimming. But is still full 1080p and 3D. The direct backlighting allows for more uniformity, less bleeding, clouding, and flashlighting. But still some side angle image fade. But, overall, if you like your picture to pop and have a wow factor, then I would choose a plasma. Not dim or dull at all; that is a misnomer. The Panasonic ST60 is very bright with vivid colors, but excellent blacks as well. Top tier pic quality at a moderate, reasonable price. Or, if you like Samsung, the F8500 plasma is even brighter and also has great colors that pop. But pricier. These plasmas are not too dim like they may appear in stores, and have a better picture than the overly bright LEDs. But part of the problem may be compression artifacts from the cable provider or the local station itself. If the bit rate is too low, image quality will suffer. Some stations use better encoders and multicast better than others.