USB ATSC Stick Getting Signal on Netbook but None on Home Computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Kworld USB ATSC Stick. I can scan for and get reception on several channels with it when using it with my netbook. I hooked the stick up to my home computer tower, Keeping my antenna in the exact same spot, and still using the same extension cable I had used to hook it into the netbook. I'm getting no signal when I do a scan with the PC. Could there be an interference signal being sent back down the usb cable to the stick, preventing me from getting reception? The chassis of the PC is aluminum, if that makes a difference. As my PC has additional storage to use the PVR functionality and a bigger monitor then the netbook, does anyone know how I could get this working with my PC? I'm using the RCA ANT1050 from this thread on Redflagdeals; not the best antenna, I know, but better then the tiny one that comes with the unit. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-18-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's possible that your tower is putting out interference. The solution to that would be to put the antenna a larger distance from the computer preferably where the signal is stronger like higher and or outside. You can get a double female F connector and a length of RG6 cable at Radio Shack or anywhere antenna stuff is sold.
Make sure you are scanning for over the air stations, not cable. This should be specified somewhere in the setup of the software.
I had tried a Kworld USB receiver a few years ago and found it would often just stop working I think because it required too much power from the USB port on the computer. It worked best with a powered USB hub. But it still would not run for more than a half hour. I ended up throwing it out.
John
post #3 of 3 Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Ditto with the above post...RF leakage with Tower and Desktop computers can be pretty bad. I use x10 modules in my house to control lights, but as soon as I turn on my tower computer, the X10 modules near it will no longer pick up the X10 signals being sent over the AC lines, turn off the tower and they start working again, so clearly some RF leakage from my tower. I suspect the same might be happening with your USB HD Tuner, pickup a 6 foot USB extension cable and see if that helps by moving your USB HD tuner further from the tower.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page