OTA tuner recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need a tuner to run to my projector. We dont have cable/dish, just OTA. Had a Tivo HR10-250 that just went out. What is a good replacement for this unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-22-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
PHD-208 from ePVision is a very good basic tuner. If you also need a DVR, then they also offer PHD-VRX. Or you could spend more and get a new TiVo Roamio, which has very good tuner and is a very good DVR.
berger6696 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
If you really want to go on the cheap and also have the option of a DVR(by adding a USB HDD) I'd suggest the iView 3500. With the latest firmware and $10 optional remote it's a steal for ~$60.
Check it out in the HDTV Recorders forum. Note is does NOT have a "native" output setting if thats important to you, that feature is quite rare and may only be available on Tivos now days.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
I just got an iView 3500 - decent little box. The scaler in it isn't the best, so the lack of a native resolution output is a bit annoying, and it seems to struggle deinterlacing high bandwidth 1080i content. But overall it's a solid box. It's $40 shipped from Amazon now, and I don't see what's wrong with the included remote.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, might end up going with the iView 3500 at that price.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

I just got an iView 3500 - decent little box. The scaler in it isn't the best, so the lack of a native resolution output is a bit annoying, and it seems to struggle deinterlacing high bandwidth 1080i content. But overall it's a solid box. It's $40 shipped from Amazon now, and I don't see what's wrong with the included remote.
I have mine set to fixed 1080i and think 1080i programs look just fine(like the original) I only notice the occasional interlace lines when watching 480i and 720p material(mostly that has been upconverted).
AFA the included remote, if your OK with small buttons illogically laid out(similar to the $19.99 Cyberhome DVD player remote of years back) you'll be OK with the original iView remote but I for one need larger buttons and a nicer feel for something I use as much as a DVR remote. For just a tuner it's probably OK but using as a DVR you really need to access lots of the buttons and the faster the better smile.gif
While it's possible to change the output resolution when watching 720p or 480i personally I don't think it's objectionable enough to warrant the time(several menus, not just a single button push).
Again for the price it is a little wonder.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
There is a Homeworx tuner/DVR similar to the iView which may also be a good low cost choice. I think they are basically the same.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

There is a Homeworx tuner/DVR similar to the iView which may also be a good low cost choice. I think they are basically the same.
Yes they are pretty similar, I don't really talk about it since I don't own one and can't speak from personal preference. They are similar but have their own +'s and -'s. For one I believe the Homework is OTA only as I think the mfg. has (possibly wisely) avoided the whole QAM quagmire. The Homeworx initially had a better remote but with the $10 optional iView remote I believe they are now comparable. The HDTV Recorders forum has a dedicated thread for both with I believe an occasional post from each mfg.
They both have the major limitation of not being able to record a title while watching a different recorded program, you can chase play but thats about the extent of it's multitasking ability. According to the mfg.(of iView anyway) this is a hardware limitation and no doubt has to do with the very low cost of the device. They have hinted on a more expensive upgraded model but I've not heard anymore of that talk lately. Again for the price I don't see how you can go wrong but it AIN'T no Tivo biggrin.gif
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page