Wiring whole home RG6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

I am rewiring my house as there is only the one cable connection in the house.  The main line in is on the outside of the house at the back left corner of the house.  This corner is where my main TV is located.  I am using quad-shielded RG-6 cable. I am planning on having a media cabinet in the basement under the stairs which is in the center of the house. from there i am running individual runs to each bedrooms and terminating to a wall plate.  My question is in regards to splitting, and amplification. 

From where the cable enters the house it is about a 35 ft run to where my central cabinet will be located, this is also where i will have the cable modem.  

*Should i split the cable at the entrance point and wire a drop straight to the TV in the back corner,

*or run a single wire to the central point and use a 2-way splitter, one leg to the modem and one leg to a 6-way splitter and one of the legs from that back the 35 feet to the TV?? I think the second option is better, i would just like an opinion, and where should amplifiers be placed?

Also does the main connection have to terminate outside of the house or can i bring it into the basement and terminate there? Does the ground wire for that have to terminate back to the main panel or can it join into one of my electrical outlet grounds?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 274
FWIW, our house is about 30 years old so it was wired for cable with RG-56 (the norm at that time). We've never had cable (well, briefly when we first moved for about a year) or satellite and have always used OTA for television. Years ago when the transition started, I changed the cable from the antenna to RG-6 (easy to do because the antenna cabling was underneath the eaves of the house). The cable (about an 80' run) goes into the garage where if connects to a signal booster, then to a 3-way splitter, and then off to the house using the original RG-56 cable. We don't live in a high lightening area so I just connected the signal booster to the original cable operator's ground wire. We've never had an issue with HDTV OTA even when using all three tv's at the same time (one HDTV, and two analog with digital STB's). The HDTV in-house cable (RG-56) is about 40' from the splitter and one of the analog/digital STB tv's is at the opposite end of the house easily 100' of in-wall/attic RG-56 cable.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

... RG-56....
Do you mean RG-59? RG-56 is 48 ohm cable. Should be 75 ohm.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For that distance it really doesn't matter where you split it, but I would be concerned with using a 6-way splitter, you're looking at -12db of loss on the output signals from the 6-way splitter plus the additional -3.5 db loss from the 2-way splitter feeding the 6-way splitter. I would suggest an 6-way or or 4-way (split a port of the amp) amplifier instead. You might get away with splitting it that much if your cable signal is coming in strong, but I find many times that's not the case.

The incoming cable is grounded outside through a grounding block (at least it should be), you don't need to run a grounding wire inside.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Do you mean RG-59? RG-56 is 48 ohm cable. Should be 75 ohm.

Yep redface.gif I don't know why, but I always confuse those two. Sorry.