Best option for getting locals in HD w/o an antenna - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used to be pretty hardcore with my antenna rig, but over the years it's just proven too difficult to keep it maintained with the high winds in my area.

I took it down about eight months ago and started just using my Comcast feed that goes with my internet -- actually lost a couple HD channels in the process, but no big deal.

Today was apparently the day that Comcast got real about encrypting the locals in my neighborhood. Fair enough. They win, whatever, right? Well . . . my internet is business internet (Why? A: I need several static IPs). I contact Comcast Business and they tell me that because it's a residence with business service, that I would need a separate residential account for TV. They connect me to residential which tells me that I need to do it on the business account. I eventually get someone who says I could do it for an installation fee and $21.99 a month - for just the frickin locals!!

You gotta be kidding me.

I've been looking at the dish providers trying to figure out who can get me my locals in HD for the cheapest. It doesn't look like anyone sells standalone local service (no surprise). The best I'm finding so far is a Dish Network package at $20 a month that includes what looks about like a basic cable package from 1984.

Are there better options? All I really want is my local news, an NFL game or two, and some background noise for the rest of the time. In fact, I could easily picture myself removing half the channels from the packages I'm finding. Also, I'm on the border of two DMAs, and if I could get locals from the neighboring DMA for a decent price, that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You could see if this company has coverage in your area and stream through the Internet https://aereo.com. Otherwise OTA is really your only option for cheap although why you had trouble with wind is odd. I know I haven't had to touch my OTA antenna in quite some time and I live in a fairly windy area...of course it's mounted on a J-Pole and only needs to be about 1' of off the roof so that probably helps.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quite a few years ago (before I put up an antenna) I wanted the same thing (although not in HD at the time). I ended up getting a "Locals only" package from DirectTV for ~$5/month (this was about 15 years ago). No idea if they still do something like that or not. You talked to Dish but maybe either one of them still has something like this as a non-advertised option.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Post your location and TV Fool results, please. That'll help.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
MeowMeow - ain't happening without using an OTA antenna. Neither Dish Nor DirectTV offer standalone Locals only package. The locals are all rolled into their packages.

Comcast $21 maybe the easiest.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #6 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I used to be pretty hardcore with my antenna rig, but over the years it's just proven too difficult to keep it maintained with the high winds in my area.

Any help would be appreciated.

We keep ours in place with 3 sets of guy wires (and a rotor) on the roof and it's been really stable for almost 30 years. We might not get the winds you do but guy wires attached to the roof beams works really well (at least for us).
post #7 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not looking to stick with the antenna. I've been through it for a long time and even when you solve a problem like mounting, you end up with additional issues like the balun ripping loose.

The thing with the $21 Comcast thing is there comes a point at which I can actually get a package from Dish with locals and a few other channels for the same price.

I'm not averse to that solution. I just want to find the cheapest version of that solution, if practicable.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I'm not looking to stick with the antenna..
Didn't say that. But knowing your location and what's available to you WILL help. You're looking to receive local stations. We need local information. And the TV Fool link. This is the HDTV Technical section. Not the HDTV Economics section. wink.gif

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

The thing with the $21 Comcast thing is there comes a point at which I can actually get a package from Dish with locals and a few other channels for the same price.

I'm not averse to that solution. I just want to find the cheapest version of that solution, if practicable.

I don't think you're going to find anything cheaper if you want local channels/network sports. I understand wanting to save money, but you're hitting the bottom of the price at ~$20.

It also depends on your area. Some places get the same "lifeline" basic package for couple dollars cheaper, some places for a couple dollars more.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 14
Mount antenna in attic to avoid problems such as wind.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

60 miles from transmitters in rough terrain with too many borderline signals even when the antenna is up higher. House has aluminum siding. Siding is largely on the side of the attic facing the transmitters. Not gonna work.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Liked: 14
The siding would be a problem, but the range won't be always.

I have a Winegard UHF antenna, HD9032, mounted on top of the house. Picks up a tower 70 miles out on 2Edge. Everywhere I look I shouldn't be picking it up, but in comes in loud and clear at 70% signal strength as reported by my TV Tuner. cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page