Older HD TV with one component output -> (2) hdmi devices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey guys - I have an older Mitsubishi 65" 1080 HD TV that works just perfectly. Only one problem: it has only one component output. Is there any way to connect two hdmi devices? I have the one component going to my Dish box and would love to get a Samsung Blu Ray BDF7500 connected to it.

Any thoughts?confused.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Just use component and a switcher:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=3#specification
post #3 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Err - the Samsung BD only has HDMI, no component output. (or composite) If your TV does not have a DVI or HDMI input, then you're going to have a serious problem connecting any new BD player to it.

If you're actually using HDMI to connect the Dish receiver to a DVI or HDMI TV input, then you will need an HDMI switcher.

I think we need to clarify terminology. HDMI vs Component, input vs output.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #4 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You are going to have to get a different (older model) Blu-Ray player that has component video outputs, and then add a component video switch like Ratman suggested. Or possibly use an AV recevier that has multiple component inputs and a component output.

BTW the component ports on your TV are inputs not outputs.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You can use fol. HDMI-To-Component-Video Converter on the input of your HDTV:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=770115&Q=&is=REG&A=details

and then use any of several Manual, Automatic or R/C Type HDMI Switches to select desired source:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011008&p_id=8146&seq=1&format=2 [2 C-V, 2 HDMI & 1 DVI]
http://www.monoprice.com/Search?keyword=hdmi+switch

Maybe you already have an Input Switch....or your AVR (if any) already has C-V and HDMI Switching built-in????
You didn't say what Make/Model AVR or HTIB you are using, if any.....it might change the above recommendations.

########################################################################

Or bite the bullet and buy a new AVR with Switched HDMI and Component Video Inputs....and make sure it converts C-V to HDMI....and MAYBE there are some out there that also convert HDMI inputs to C-V output???? If NOT, you'll still need the HDMI-To-CV Converter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #6 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

You can use fol. HDMI-To-Component-Video Converter on the input of your HDTV:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=770115&Q=&is=REG&A=details.

I don't think so... according to the specs:
Does not support HDMI devices that are HDCP encrypted

AFAIK, the only HDMI to component converter that may work is the HDFury.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're willing to drop to composite video, the "ViewHD" HDMI to Composite converter makes no claim to being HDCP compliant. On my BD player it does work but no one can guarantee it will work in all cases.

I think you have to go back to 2011 models to find component outputs and 2012 for composite connections on BD players.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Why anyone would consider purchasing any device to downconvert a Bluray player to 480i/p is beyond me. tongue.gif
Makes more sense to buy/borrow a standard DVD player and use that until you purchase a new TV.

Anyone interested in buying a broadband 10/100 internet converter to allow a 300/1200 dialup? biggrin.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Why anyone would consider purchasing any device to downconvert a Bluray player to 480i/p is beyond me. tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
Well, if you have an interest in commentaries and extra features, then BluRay is increasingly your only option and you don't really need HD to listen to the director but you do need the BluRay disk. A new BD player will also give access to Netflix, HULU, and other services that a DVD player won't. (even an old BD player might choke on Netflix if they refuse to update the firmware to support the new features like my Samsung "C" series)

post #10 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Well, if you have an interest in commentaries and extra features, then BluRay is increasingly your only option and you don't really need HD to listen to the director but you do need the BluRay disk. A new BD player will also give access to Netflix, HULU, and other services that a DVD player won't. (even an old BD player might choke on Netflix if they refuse to update the firmware to support the new features like my Samsung "C" series)

Here's my reasoning: I don't want to down convert the signal from the Blu Ray - i want to up convert the signal from the TV.

I have a 65" Mitsubishi HD TV. It is one of the originals they made in 1080. It still works, but has no HDMI. I wanted to connect a newly purchased Samsung BD F7500 (which I purchased for another TV) to see if I could get it to play Blu Ray and connect to the internet. That would delay my replacement of this TV for a bit. I want to see what new TVs Samsung comes out with in Jan during CES.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page