best cheapest HDTV OTA converter to component or HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The threaded input to my LG 42" HDTV blew, so I can't connect my Terk OTA antenna to it. I see the iview 3500STB but a bunch of bad reviews on Amazon makes me leary. Comcast stuff is no help as far as I can see - none have the receiver for the OTA frequencies... Thanks.

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
If you search the section, there are already a number of set top box threads as well as a sticky that's a summary of all of them. Please search out existing threads before starting a new one.

That said, it's not terribly difficult to replace the F connector on your TV. If you're not handy with a soldering iron, find a Ham Radio enthusiast. Might can get it fixed for the cost of a six pack.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

If you search the section, there are already a number of set top box threads as well as a sticky that's a summary of all of them. Please search out existing threads before starting a new one.

That said, it's not terribly difficult to replace the F connector on your TV. If you're not handy with a soldering iron, find a Ham Radio enthusiast. Might can get it fixed for the cost of a six pack.

I seriously doubt it's the F connector, but rather the circuit board behind it.

Kris
post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Takes a pretty good yank on the cord to do that.

If you're the least bit handy with computers, head over to the HTPC forum. Building your own does-everything machine is easier than you might think. Can be expensive, but I'm on my third year with an HTPC that TiVo is just now coming close to. Cable, OTA, Satellite, Blu-Ray and streaming all in one box with unlimited storage. Recorded or ripped content can be streamed to any device I have.

Just a thought.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi1 View Post

The threaded input to my LG 42" HDTV blew, so I can't connect my Terk OTA antenna to it. I see the iview 3500STB but a bunch of bad reviews on Amazon makes me leary. Comcast stuff is no help as far as I can see - none have the receiver for the OTA frequencies... Thanks.

If your OTA don't worry about the iView, the VAST majority of the complaints come from cable users, not us OTA folk. I have a couple and am quite happy with them. I mainly use mine for the DVR function and on that front they work pretty well. Haven't really had any problems, especially with the newest firmware and most importantly the vastly improved remote(make sure you order a 3500II for the new remote).

For ~$40 you just can't go wrong, IMO.

post #6 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If your OTA don't worry about the iView, the VAST majority of the complaints come from cable users, not us OTA folk. I have a couple and am quite happy with them. I mainly use mine for the DVR function and on that front they work pretty well. Haven't really had any problems, especially with the newest firmware and most importantly the vastly improved remote(make sure you order a 3500II for the new remote).
For ~$40 you just can't go wrong, IMO.

Cable is not an issue, especially since Comcast scrambled everything, but I have economy TV anyway which includes all that. Yes, the "II" and the new remote. Okay! Thanks!

EDIT: Hey, where's the best place to get a II - Amazon doesn't have any and newegg now has a no-return policy. and where at $40 - I see $60. edit: answer: Newegg $43
Thanks!!!

Kris
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page