Samsung GX-SM530CF - CableCard tuner and media streamer - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #271 of 275 Old 11-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just a heads up to those of you who have this box hooked up to a Samsung Smart TV.

Sidenote: I returned the 51" F8500 Plasma in exchange for a 55" F8000 LED. While the Plasma set had a beautiful picture, there were two issues that Samsung decided was worth a return; Overheating panel and macroblocking/pixelization due to panel overheating. The longer the TV ran, the hotter it got which caused lots of macroblocking/pixelization, regardless of channel. So Samsung was nice enough to offer an exchange for the same model or a full refund. I decided to take the refund because they didn't have any 55" F8000 LED models in stock. So I put the refund towards the 55" F8000 @ B&H Photo & Video for the same price I paid for the F8500 @ $1397.99.

Now to my original suggestion. The GX-SM530CF has BD Wise capability. The F8000 and I believe all Samsung Smart TV models also have BD Wise capability. If you're looking for an optimized Blu Ray-like quality picture, try enabling the BD Wise resolution on the GX-SM530CF box. The TV should already have BD Wise enabled, but double-check this to be sure. Refer to your respective manuals to see where to locate these particular settings on your TV. The BD Wise setting on the box is under Menu > Display > BD Wise = On.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this suggestion out there. I'm currently using this BD Wise setting on my new F8000 and I'm pleased with the results. So far, so good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 275 Old 11-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone successful with IR blaster code?

Has anyone has any success with another remote or IR blaster changing the channel on the Samsung GX-SM530CF?

I have tried the 6 or 7 Samsung remote codes plus every other remote code on my Google TV set up menu for the IR blaster with no luck.
The google TV pulls up the cable programming but I would really be happly with this box if I could actually select the channels from google tv menu instead of the box stock menu. Google IR app is up to date.

Any device, code, or fix suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

I see this was asked in June by another user but with no reply
post #273 of 275 Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblack5 View Post
Has anyone has any success with another remote or IR blaster changing the channel on the Samsung GX-SM530CF?

I have tried the 6 or 7 Samsung remote codes plus every other remote code on my Google TV set up menu for the IR blaster with no luck.
The google TV pulls up the cable programming but I would really be happly with this box if I could actually select the channels from google tv menu instead of the box stock menu. Google IR app is up to date.

Any device, code, or fix suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

I see this was asked in June by another user but with no reply
I don't know anything about Google TV, but I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the codes for this box. It's Samsung36 protocol, device 48, param E = 2. I can post OBCs, EFCs, pronto hex, whatever. That's the good news. The bad news is, every other remote I know of has only device 32, not 48. So the code isn't built into any 3rd party remote. But nearly any universal remote can work with learns. Any JP1 or remote that takes pronto hex can also work. It's also in the Harmony database. Can you submit pronto hex codes to Google TV support and get them added that way?
post #274 of 275 Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I don't know anything about Google TV, but I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the codes for this box. It's Samsung36 protocol, device 48, param E = 2. I can post OBCs, EFCs, pronto hex, whatever. That's the good news. The bad news is, every other remote I know of has only device 32, not 48. So the code isn't built into any 3rd party remote. But nearly any universal remote can work with learns. Any JP1 or remote that takes pronto hex can also work. It's also in the Harmony database. Can you submit pronto hex codes to Google TV support and get them added that way?
One of the biggest usability issue with this box is that there is no easy way to access the favorites channels. As the hardware platform is closely based on the Samsung E-Series TVs (2012 models), I researched on how the E-Series TVs access the favorite channel list. It turned out that this is not a problem at all on Samsung TVs as the Samsung TV remotes have a dedicated "Channel List" button that brings on screen the current channel list (Favorite1, 2 etc.). And from there you can switch to another favorite channel or another favorite list that you have programmed. In other words, we are having the usability issue because on the GX-530CF remote the "Channel List" button is missing (actually, replaced by a ""live" button, which is useless with a CableCard setup). By the way, for those who want to know how to bring up the Channel List menu, you have to press Menu then Settings and then scroll to Broadcasting and then scroll to Channel List, which is quite cumbersome. If the GX-530CF accepts the "Channel List" signal from another Samsung TV remote (i.e., brings up the Channel List on the screen), it would then be easy to program an universal remote to sent the same signal to the box so to workaround this issue. Can anybody with a Samsung TV remote help and check to see if this is possible? Thanks in advance!
post #275 of 275 Old 12-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Keyboard/Mouse

Has anyone had any luck configuring a keyboard or mouse to work with this media player?

I have one wireless USB keyboard/mouse combo which was not detected in settings at all. I plugged in another wireless USB mouse and it was detected, but the pointer did not move at all when I went into the web browser. Both were Logitech wireless devices.

So far support has told me that there are no compatible Samsung hardware and are unaware of 3rd party ones which may work. Definitely not helpful.

I'm trying to get this to work for my elderly parents who understand how to use a keyboard/mouse but I believe the motor skills needed to use the remote as a pointer maybe be beyond their skill level.

Thanks!
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung